File Theft

Hi Everyone,
I shared this file for people to use personally, not for it to be put on anyones Etsy page for sale. Today I was looking for a file to buy on Etsy and found that someone had copied my picture that I posted on here and is selling my file. This is so not cool! This makes me not want to share files on here. One person can ruin it for everyone. What a shame!! Shame on you Osman@Has Vector!!!

10 Likes

Happens all the time. It’s why I will never offer a file for sale, here or anywhere else.

5 Likes

Yes, what gets me is that this is a cross with a Bible scripture, who thinks it is okay to steal something like this. Amazing!

7 Likes

Have you contacted him and asked to take it down? I can see someone looking at “free laser designs” and assuming there aren’t any restrictions on them, so it could be an honest mistake. If you don’t get a positive response, you can file a copyright infringement report, and Etsy will take down the listing:

15 Likes

Report it to Glowforge. The Free Files area is specifically designated as personal use only.

14 Likes

Heh. I found one of my free files for sale in his shop, too.

11 Likes

So far, every single file I’ve examined was stolen from someone else, without a commercial license. If you find your files on there, please report the infringement.

10 Likes

Also

3 Likes

What’s the actual link to his shop? He probably has several of mine too…

5 Likes

Victor’s recipe box was in there too. @designvh619 your greek temple recipe box file is being sold here:

11 Likes

I reported it. People are such A$$ holes.

11 Likes

Actually it is a general rule I believe that if someone shares a file on here for free it is for personal use only and not to be sold unless you give permission to do so. It is one thing to sell a physical product and another to sell the file as your own.

8 Likes

Victor,
How did you report it on the one he stole from you? I can’t find anywhere where you can. I did ask him to remove it from his listings. He has not responded and has not removed it.

1 Like

Yes, he has not respondedd or taken it down.

Chris,
The top listing is mine and a physical item. You can see in the picture on the second listing where he made a bad copy job on the picture. In his listing he is selling the digital file, without permission to do so.

But even selling the physical product from a free design on here is a no-no. They are supposed to be strictly for personal use or to give as gifts, not to be sold. I actually keep a list of every design I have, free or purchased, who the designer is, and color-coded so I know whether I can sell the product or not. I did ask permission from one person on here to be able to sell a physical product, and was given permission to do so. But I never sell any designs, as that is not my thing. I am so sorry for all those who put so much work into designing something, just to have others rip them off.

11 Likes

I agree! I like your idea of tracking your files. I think I will do something similar. Great idea!

honestly, that’s part of why i’ve only shared a few things here, and not anything complex. too many people just don’t care and think it’s fine profiting off of someone else’s work.

11 Likes

On Etsy - bottom right:

6 Likes

I think it was someone here that told me one of mine here was being sold, as I never go there. At the time I couldn’t find a way to report it without signing up. Someone must have though, as it doesn’t appear to be there now.

3 Likes