Filled shape is open... or is it?

So here’s one I haven’t seen before…

Okay… To be clear, I get that I can’t have open paths. But I’ve printed this file before and I know (well, I’m pretty sure) it has no open paths because I created it. But, just to be on the safe side I ran it through the Select Menu plugin in Illustrator and it didn’t find any open paths as far as I can tell.

Now here’s the fun part… It only fails when rotated!?

Any idea?

5 Likes

Wanna load up the file? (Can’t tell without a dissection.) :smile:

1 Like

That is interesting that…

Your operations look strange, like little bits and pieces scattered around. Was this a scan and convert bitmap to paths?

It’s always a chore to clean this up perfectly and get everything clear.

But still, error only when rotated.

1 Like

I can’t confirm - but I think that this error will also pop up with closed paths that are under a certain threshold - ridiculously small, like closed shapes that are in the thousandths of an inch tall or wide. Usually those come from auto-traces and the grunge-type fonts.

5 Likes

I would, but this is the protype for a commissioned project and I can’t publish it. Although if Support asks, I’d be willing to e-mail it to them.

It was a bitmap that I cleaned up in Photoshop, then traced in Illustrator in order to get each shade its own power. Yeah, it definitely looks strange… mostly because I suck at Illustrator and I don’t know how to make each color its own object… that’d certainly clean up the operations.

Right? BTW, I did, in fact, just run this off horizontally and there was no issue (aside from the fact that my power settings didn’t yield the results I wanted).

Well, it was certainly traced. I suppose it’s possible there are some extremely tiny elements in there. But that doesn’t explain why it works horizontally and not vertically. I mean, the element is still there (if it exists).

2 Likes

Perhaps when rotated one side of the element falls below a threshold for that particular axis.

3 Likes

I can buy that.

When you run a trace in Illustrator an easy way to avoid the itty bitty tiny pieces is to set the number of colors in the trace to the actual number of colors you want to end up with rather than the leaving the default number which is usually way too high.

3 Likes

I have seen that if there is a horizontal fill and a tiny opening it becomes like a glass of water working better upright than it does on the side.

I work in Inkscape but have on several occasions zoomed in in the node editor to clean up messes like making one node where there were five and some unconnected or crazy vectors that mess thing up.

1 Like

Yep. I did do that. There are excatly 9 colors to the original artwork. Still, I worked with it more last night and removed some of the finer details I’d had. In doing that I found several very small elements (that were of one of the correct colors). They weren’t even visible to the naked eye. Had to zoom in a ton just to even know they were there. My version with the background detail elements removed looks pretty good. I’m presenting 3 versions of it to the client today. And I have an idea to just outline some of the background elements so they can be represented without taking away from the primary elements. (Yeah, I swear eveything I just said makes sense in my head!)

6 Likes

Hi, @Tom_A! I’m really sorry it took us so long to get back to you. You mentioned that you’d be fine with sending this file over to support@glowforge.com for us to take a look - could you please do so? I’ve not seen this occur before (especially on only one axis or rotation), so I’ll need check out the file more closely. Thanks in advance!

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.