Filter issues

Anyone else having difficulty with really bad filter smell. I used my other filter for the first year I’ve had my machine. I realized it was full or ineffective, so I ordered a new filter. Ever since installing the new filter, everything still smells awful, almost as if I wasn’t using a filter at all. There are obvious materials that I would expect to be bad…I’m looking at you acrylic, but normally I can burn most woods with minimal smell or concern when the filter is working correctly. We’ve checked to make sure that it is connected correctly and that the tubing from the machine is connected well and does not have any holes.

Any ideas?

I wish I had some insight, but I got nothing other than a few pretty obvious things. I know this probably isn’t the issue, but are you sure this wasn’t reset somehow?

And the new filter looks like this?

1 Like

Hello @tanyapsyd,

I’m sorry to hear you’re experiencing excessive odors since switching to a new filter cartridge. When your Glowforge and Compact Filter are properly set up, you may have some harmless odor during printing which will rapidly dissipate. You may also smell something when you open the Glowforge lid after a print is complete. This is not harmful.

However, if you notice a strong, unpleasant or irritating odor when printing, or see smoke, shut off your Glowforge unit immediately. Smoke and fumes could be entering the room in excessive concentrations.

We’ve created a troubleshooting guide with illustrations. You can see it here: Excessive Smoke of Fumes During Print.

Please let us know how it goes after trying the steps listed in the troubleshooting guide and we’ll follow up with next steps if needed. Thank you!

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.