Fires in the Glowforge ! Here is how they happen?

Had a few small fires along the 4 years with the Glowforge and they all happened the same way, forgetting to check the Number Of Passes as Many times I rely on the Quick view box scanning the Power Setting an not checking the Pass number.

Let the Crucifixion begin , but I do think adding this to the Quick View would be nice. I know it would save me a few fires as well.

Please add the Number of Passes to the Quick View Box and I believe this would really make a difference in the Number of Fires for me anyway for sure.

If you have a couple hundred quick boxes its very difficult to keep track of the number of passes each has and if you do make a change , its sill hard to remember.

Both the Occasional Fire and the Frustration might be solved with the QUICK BOX showing the Number of Passes .

2022-11-03_17h56_20

Fires happen when the Glowforge is left unattended. If you were near the Glowforge when it started on a 2nd pass for a cut you wanted a single pass, you would simply lift the lid or cancel the print. No amount of warnings or changes to the interface can make up for an operator not watching the machine. It doesn’t matter that you never exceed 85 percent power if your speed is too slow. You can start a fire with a power level of 10 and a single pass.

Never leave the Glowforge unattended and you won’t have a surprise fire.

8 Likes

Seriously that is kind of BS , because fires happen in a split second , and no amount of watching is going to change that. Its a great idea to add the Information to Prevent other fires Regardless …

1 Like

First of all, Glowforge won’t see your request…they no longer monitor the forum…so If you’d like for them to add that to the enormous hopper of requests, you’ll need to contact Glowforge support.

Second of all, I don’t agree with

Even though fire can start in a split second, they could never reach the points as you describe in your post where they have destroyed componants so completely…that fast. From your own description, I think it has been careless operator error that caused those fires. I have used multiple passes on things many many times…with nary a fire…and many of us have had our machines over 5 years now without ever catching fire.

9 Likes

I really think this a great tip on how to Prevent less fires for many Glow Forge users. I am surprised with the Negative Responses.

Not about perfection…about being more careful and watching my Glowforge when it’s in operation. If you wish to think it’s about being perfect, then the take-away might be that you too can be ‘perfect’…AND not have any more fires. :wink:

5 Likes

Hey guys, in the hopes of keeping everyone safe, just don’t ever use your Glowforges. They are fire hazards by design and it’s better for them to just look pretty while you stare at them doing nothing.

Maybe every time we plug in the Glowforge, they could give us a pop up that tells us it’s dangerous and please unplug the machine for our own safety.

And the government needs to mandate bubble wrap suits of clothing for everyone cause people are inherently clumsy and can hurt ourselves and each other.

3 Likes

Yeah I get it the bubble wrap an mandates, its just that it easy to see the Power Setting and easy to forget you changed the number of passes. Seems to me an easy fix for something that has got me good a few times.

Here’s an easy fix. You can be up and running with this technology long before the company implements any of your requests.

3 Likes

I realize that most of you , that have a glowforge make the latest Snow Flake Cut out clicking and checking and double checking is no BIG DEAL.

But there are those that of us that have as many as 300/500 boxes each with a different cut and power setting and even when you click and change the setting , it can be very difficult to remember what is happening .

Thus being able to see at a glance the Number of Passes would be a very nice to have .

So tie that ribbon around the simple Snow Flake Design and it works but not so much for Bigger more involved projects.

Ohh and let us not forget with a Ribbon around the finger that it may stop a person glowforge from catching on fire.

Maybe try this; In the same vein as @GrooveStranger’s idea… if you’re already looking at the power setting, start making a point of also double-checking to see how many passes are set. Just one more step. I’m sure you could create a new habit faster than they will implement your idea.

All said and done though, we can’t do a thing to move your idea forward, so the suggestion to send it to support still stands.

4 Likes

Man, it sounds like us people who just do an occasional snow flake cut out might not have the skills to solve this problem. It was really nice of you to point that out.

There’s probably a better Glowforge forum out there full of smarter people who make hundreds of boxes, each with different settings. If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them… maybe you can hire …

No, wait, that’s the A-Team, sorry.

Anyway, you’ll have better luck hiring the A-Team than getting Glowforge to make a change any time soon.

7 Likes

I think this is a fine idea that could be easily implemented and would not detract from anything.

3 Likes

As it is Glowforge will tell you when your design can cause a fire. If there’s even a chance that the design can create a problem it will stop the process and point out where those places are, so a serious problem can be acknowledged. With the designs I do, I see these warnings frequently but have not seen one cause a problem, but I am watching that area like a hawk and not just standing near the machine much less having gone to the store while it is cutting.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.