So one project I’ve been planning for some time is to make a new home for my ukulele.
It’s a sopranissimo, so it’s very small, even for a uke(seen here with me, for exaggerated scale)
So a stand for it is easily within the size of the GF bed. Until now, it has lived on this makeshift matboard stand
So obviously wood is going to be a major upgrade.
I knocked together a stand in Sketchup, spent time making sure my joints were just so, got it converted to SVG, loaded it up and hit the big flashing button and it snapped right together! Job done!
Er, maybe not so done. What’s that old saying about measure twice, laser once? I’d spent so much time worrying about the joints, I’d forgotten to check the width. Turns out, my spoo-- er, stand is too big.
It’s a little hard to see, but the ukulele is sitting on the table. It passes right between the supports.
So! Back to sketchup, edit some angles, fiddle with some joints, figure out I can fix it only recutting the front and back piece (which is good, since they’re small.) Zap it again and Voilà; a perfect fit.
And at this point, I was feeling rather proud of myself, so I decided to take a victory lap by shooting a fun design through the sides. Artsy!
Anyway, it’s a huge step up from the old matboard stand and I’ve learned a lot. Maybe I’ll even go so far as making one out of something other than draftboard… eventually.