First Cut: Turtles all the way down

We have a National Park , Sandy Point that is a nesting site for three kinds of turtles. Hurricane Marie kinda washed out the beaches/nests so we will see what happens. Hatch-lings are small, but can be distracted by house lights and street lights so we try to use “turtle safe” lights so they can make it to the sea.

I got it! Clever! Before I started this!

3 Likes

It was a bit of a double take is all. I was just thinking if they were big when they hatched they must be huge grown up :slight_smile:

Brilliant! I haven’t started thinking of usable storage space yet… Just cleaned off my table for the GF, slowly need to start adding things back in. Storage for materials is probably first on the queue… Seen any good systems for that?

1 Like

Wonderful job!

I like open shelves for that. I’m using shoe shelves from Lowes - they’re white melamine coated, 3ft by 1ft by 1ft (i think) so full sheets of PG fit with room for the smaller hardwood and leather blanks next to them. They run about $13 each and stack. Right now I’ve got two and am likely to grab another to finish it off. I keep the material segregated by shelf so I can just look and see that I’m running out of Med Cherry Ply for instance.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/ClosetMaid-31-in-White-Laminate-Stacking-Storage/4564522

Another option is to get a couple of those stanless steel racks from Lowes or HD with the tubular legs and wire shelves - they run about $40 each. You can take the shelves from the 2nd unit and add them to the first - you need lots of shelves not necessarily lots of vertical space between shelves for storage. Like these but in 48" tall vs the 72" tall ones:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Style-Selections-72-in-H-x-47-7-in-W-x-18-in-D-5-Tier-Steel-Freestanding-Shelving-Unit/999990408

My store has the shorter ones (so you can double the shelves vs the 72" ones for the same price and since a lot of vertical spacing isn’t needed when you’re storing 1/8 & 1/4" material, you get lots more “slots” for your material than with the tall ones.

Other people have gone the IKEA hack route using some of their different tables (Alex I think is one popular one) and putting together a shelving/drawer system. Those tend to run into the $120-150 range. Search for “IKEA Storage” here and you’ll find a number of posts.

2 Likes

Wow! Fantastic work!

I’m watching my Glowforge make its way across the US to the east coast… next week it is here! Got the proofgrade sample kit already. So I’m trying to remain calm here… :wink:

2 Likes

This design is great. We just moved away from Hawaii. This makes me miss it.

1 Like