First leather project... ever

Despite having a GF for almost 18 months, I’ve never tackled a leather project with it until today. In fact, the last leather project I remember was lacing a kerchief slide at Scout camp about 45 years ago.

IMG_3721

PG Medium Leather and a pattern from the Catalog.
Two coats of water-based dye covered with some shine, ~15 minutes in the GF, and 30 minutes teaching myself how to saddle stitch. Pretty darn happy with the results. There are some custom notebooks on the project horizon. :wink:

I may not have mentioned this recently, but…

I :heart: my :glowforge::exclamation:

40 Likes

How is the fit for credit cards? I made the trifold one, and it’s really tight – one card per pocket and even then they can be hard to get out.

1 Like

It’s actually fairly loose – the CC picture was “posed” up and to the left. Probably a total of 1/4" free side-to-side.

1 Like

Nice, I might have to try it, then!

2 Likes

The 2nd photo in the catalog gives a good idea of its capacity.

https://catalog.glowforge.com/products/garden-gable-card-wallet

2 Likes

Simply mahhhh-velous! :sunglasses::+1:

4 Likes

Nice work man! I still haven’t worked the samples that came with the PRU…

3 Likes

Be careful…leather is highly addictive! Unless you’re sensitive about smells, that is. :wink:

2 Likes

Nice job on that stitching!

1 Like

Figured I needed to do something with them…

Exactly the reason I waited until my over-engineered exhaust system was in place. :wink:

Thanks! The hardest part was trying to keep the tension even across every stitch (and making sure I didn’t mess up the right/left rhythm).

3 Likes

A white guy with rhythm…? I need lessons. :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

Nicely done! My husband wants to do leather … I don’t want to do the smell. It will eventually happen though.

2 Likes

I’m glad I’m not only leather virgin out there…lol :wink:

2 Likes