First Leather Project on the Glowforge

That’s a great question. Based on my current process, it takes about 20 minutes per wallet from cutting the side of leather to finishing the edges.

1 Like

Wow, that’s really good. You’ve obviously got it down to a bit of an art - stitching particularly! Impressed, sir.

1 Like

amazing! love the leather… can you tell us where you sourced it from?

1 Like

Thank you! Yes, I get my leather from a company in Maine called Acadia Leather. They source their leather from a larger group called Tasman Leather, which is one of the largest tanneries in USA. Great quality leather and customer service.

1 Like

what string and needles do you recommend for a first timer for veg. leather.

1 Like

There’s a standard leather stitching needle that you would use for all leather projects. In terms of the thread, you’ll have to decide based on what your design. If you’re making a large item like a tote bag, I’d recommend using a medium to thicker thread. If you’re making a smaller item like wallets and pouches, a thin thread will work. It all depends on the aesthetic of your product. Good luck!

1 Like

Definitely not what I was expecting for a first project. You hit the ground running! Thanks for sharing your process with us all.

3 Likes

Tim,
I’ve read through the whole post hoping to find an answer to a simple question. Do you know of a way to finish the leather after engraving/cutting so that the burnt material doesn’t smear all over the leather with handling?

I just wipe off the edges with a soft rag before starting any finishing.

2 Likes

Well, that wasn’t really the question. The edges aren’t a problem. I am engraving on the piece and that is what is smudging the piece.

You mention “finishing” - what do you use to finish the leather?

Thanks

1 Like

Ah. I use masking paper to prevent that. :slight_smile:

I’m pretty much still a beginner with leather, so you might not want to totally rely on me, but here are some posts with the finishes I’ve used:

6 Likes

Nice!

Try masking tape well burnished (lint roller even) or silly putty. Might take a couple passes depending on your engraving.

Wondering what settings you used to cut these, and did you use masking tape, mine looks a little burnt around the edges. Any tips you could offer a newbe?

Thanks!

Hi Tony,

Great question - check out this post and let me know if you still have questions!

Good luck!
Tim

Confirmed on the acrylic paint.

I was chatting with the guy at Tandy. I was about to buy some expensivish leather acrylic paint… he said to just use regular latex acrylic. This what I have been using on my wallets - and they wear quite well.

And the paint is cheap.

1 Like

Amazing !

1 Like

@Tim_Ung I’m curious about the design process for your wallets. I’m working in AI as well, and I’m wondering how far apart your stitch holes are and what size they are. I usually do a dotted line with a specific point size and distance between dots when I’m cutting something similar. TIA!

1 Like

Tim hasn’t been around for quite a while, so he may not see your message.

The holes in leather depend on the floss and needle you’re using. Using waxed thread and a Tandy Leather stitching needle my holes are 1.5-1.6mm diameter (they’re also slightly oblong, but only that .1mm difference.)

My distance between is just more than double the hole diameter - about 3.3mm.

I also use a dotted line, and then enlarge the dots to be holes - but I use Inkscape so my specific method won’t help in AI!

5 Likes

Thanks @deirdrebeth !

2 Likes