First Project.... Nautical Theme

Hi Everyone, I just got my GlowForge yesterday and I’ve been working with it ever since. This is my first post, as well. I thought I’d share what I did today. We are a Navy family, and I made this for our son who is also Navy and just graduated from Nuclear Training and is about to head out to the Fleet on his first sea duty station.

It’s been wonderful inspiration to see what everyone is posting! Thank you!

63 Likes

Done on the first day??:exploding_head: wow

Amazing piece of work! :heart_eyes:

10 Likes

Great job! (And thanks to your whole family for their service!) :grinning:

7 Likes

Wow!

5 Likes

Stunning! Great work!

5 Likes

Wonderful project! Your son will cherish it I’m sure. Thank you all for your service.

6 Likes

That’s amazing first project, and the nautical themed wheel that’s layered is very impressive.

5 Likes

@aradia.robertson I’m always curious when I see new users post amazing projects. Did you have any previous laser or design experience?

5 Likes

That looks amazing! Complicated layering, wonderful execution - my mind boggles. And that after 1 day! Congrats!

4 Likes

I’m a bit intimidated. My first posting was a piece of cardboard. :laughing: Very nice indeed!

6 Likes

Design, yes. Laser… definitely not.

1 Like

Holy crap. On your first day. You were well prepped for this. You could totally sell those to Navy personnel and merchant marines. Just figure out a way to add some sort of plaque on it to identify the event.

4 Likes

And I will point out my first day was a cutout of a large glowforge logo in spray painted Luon that I proceeded to photograph me delivering from our birthing mannequin during the PRU days (you had to be there)

3 Likes

It’s fantastic! My husband was in the Navy, and my father-in-law retired from it. Thank you for your service!

You are far ahead of the game then and I can’t wait to see where you take it. Luckily I was exactly in the same boat and knew the design end of it’s and it’s proof how easy the GF is to operate. A lot of people get very frustrated with the machine and don’t realize it’s their design skill that are hindering them.

1 Like

I’ve had my GF for nearly 2 years now, and I’m still like, “Look at this neato picture I put on a box lid.”

Then there’s aradia.robertson, and “Look at this amazing thing I just made on my first day!”

I need more practice, if I’m going to get up to that level. I have not had any design training since 7th grade art class, though. I’ll get there. I’m not jealous or envious–OK, maybe I am. But that only make me look forward, and I’m not wishing ill upon anyone else. Nice job, @aradia.robertson!

3 Likes

If this is what you do on your first day WOW! Welcome.

3 Likes

Amazing! That is truly a work of art! Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

How do you do something like that? I’ve always wanted to learn how to do the layer thing like that. How do you get that effect?