First real project

After making a bunch of simple items I decided to try a layered forest scene. This is the first cut on draft board. Some of the thin details are too thin to cut at this size so I’ll have to tweak those but otherwise I’m pretty pleased. Some of the art is stuff I found on line, but some of the trees are photos I traced using gimp and inkscape. Needless to say I’ve gotten a TON of inkscape experience making this. The final version is going to be made of maple for the foreground layer, walnut for the second woods layer and the something I can stain light blue/grey for the mountain layers.

63 Likes

That is going to be really nice!!!

3 Likes

Bunny!!!

Nice job :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Wonderful! Baltic Birch plywood stains very easily.

2 Likes

Bunnies!

1 Like

Thanks for the tip! It looks like all the PG plywoods are pre-finished. Looks like Inventables has unfinished 1/8 Baltic birch. I’ll give that a try.

Nicely done. Inspires me to give it a try!

1 Like

I buy all my Baltic Birch from a local lumberyard. It’s pretty popular, and you might be able to find some near you. It typically comes in 5’x’5 sheets, but most places will cut it down for you.

2 Likes

That looks great! Can’t wait to see the finished product!

1 Like

Love layered designs, and this one is super nice looking! Well done!

2 Likes

Very nice! Looking forward to seeing it done in your choice of materials.

1 Like

7 Likes

I love these layered scenes, and this one is great!

1 Like

Well done.

1 Like

Ooooo, gorgeous! Don’t throw that prototype away, it would be very cool painted.

2 Likes

Very nice! Please post photos of your final finished project!!

1 Like

Great mock up. Waiting to see finished work.

1 Like

Good idea!

I will. Still trying to figure out what to do about the very back layer, which would be sky, and how to enclose the whole thing. Have some ideas but going to be some trial and error, I’m sure.

1 Like

I went with cherry for the first layer. Decided maple would be too much contrast between foreground and background layers. Now I just have to decide what to do with the mountains. I used non-PG birch plywood for them, so the burning is on the surface of the wood itself (no paper layer) and I actually kind of like it. Originally planned to sand if off, but may just leave it.

10 Likes