First week with my Glowforge

Great job on your first week! :raised_hands:t2:

1 Like

Your first projects look amazing. It is so satisfying to make things that are so functional and nice looking too. :blush:

1 Like

Cool! The iPad app must have updated.

I just played with itā€¦ and unfortunately unchecking responsive doesnā€™t help us.

It seems that iOS Illustrator is always using Pixels as the unit of measurement when exporting SVGs (even if the document is using Inches as itā€™s unit of measurement).

Hereā€™s an example SVGā€¦ basically a 2 inch square.

I highlighted in the second one what ā€œResponsiveā€ doesā€¦ it just adds
width="720px" height="720px"
which unfortunately suffers the problem of a different PPI (pixels per inch) than GFUI expects.

But Adobe does seem to keep improving Illustrator for iOSā€¦ so maybe theyā€™ll address this.

Hope it arrives soon for you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for examining this, it certainly keeps me from wrestling further with the program and just opting for the scaling process!

You made this in your first week? I love it! Are the support spindles for the shelves made by your daughter? This is really nice work.

You are one of us.

Iā€™m still trying to get used to any part of the Adobe world. The suite of products I learned on were nothing like what I am trying to use now. I love CorelDraw, although the Mac version is incredibly buggy, it is much more intuitive and logicalā€¦Adobe stuff, I wish.

2 Likes

Thank you. Yes she turned the spindles. I showed her the basics on the first one, and the dimensions I wanted, then she finished it + the other 5. There are 3 in the front and 3 in the back, all mahogany. She is real talented, Iā€™m a proud Dad as she is only 16 and wanting to start her own business. She has 2 stores lined up for her stuff. So, we need to plan out another display.

Iā€™m teaching her how to stabilize wood now, and most of her new stuff is based on stabilized blanks.

3 Likes

Very nice. Now theyā€™ll nag you for displays for them.

This turned out fantastic!!

I struggle with AI so much. Is there a certain tool you used to learn?

I hear you. For this, I just poked at it until I got it to do something close to what I wanted. Having said that, just yesterday I purchased an Ai course on Udemy. I canā€™t keep doing what I have been doing. Right now Iā€™m busy making a new home for the GF (bench with external airflow). The GF was actually a birthday present for my wife, I need to get it setup for her in a more permanent home.

1 Like

Definitely go through a tutorial or two on YouTube.
I like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib8UBwu3yGA

Also, lots of good write ups and details about laser related stuff here:

And other general goodies here:

Keep with it! good luck! and keep asking questions here! lots of folks willing to help you learn

2 Likes