Flare ups and longer cut time

For the last two days, I have been getting really bad flare ups…flame seems to be going to the left…air assist fan has been cleaned. Also, not sure if related or not, yestrdays cut took 25 minutes…the same cut todays says 46 minutes!

It is very unusual that an identical setting for a cut file would increase so drastically. Can you share a screenshot or more info?

That says your air assist fan is not working as it should. When you are suddenly having a burn issue the problem is often that the lens is not cup side up, but the fan is enough.

Magnets mess with fans badly as well.

For it to change the time, something in your file or settings have changed.

Do you mean my lens
may be upside down?

The only thing that changed was my laptop.

Do you mean you used two different computers for the projects?

Yes, I spilled water on my laptop and fried it this morning…so I switched to a new one

No matter the reason if you set a speed it will go that speed if it can, It is easy enough to pick the point above or below where you 8ntended!

Flaring up could be from slow speed but smoke stain from the flare pointing left says your fan is not doing its job. Sometimes the reason is just something breaking the wind (like a head pin) but even then the smoke points forward. As for the lens upside down that is also an easy mistake with a sudden effect and an easy fix, so just something to be aware of.

Ouch, sorry to hear that, but that could be the issue. If I go from one of my Macs to my iPad, or my wife’s PC the interface does not pick up where the other left off. I have to re-enter settings for the material, cutting, engraving, scoring.

1 Like

I’m so sorry to hear that you’re running into trouble!

Regarding the increase in time during prints, as @ovm.steve pointed out, its likely that the settings may have changed from print to print, as the speed would be the only thing that would effect the print time (which can also change depending on engrave settings, etc). Do you know if both prints, when printing the same design, utilized the same exact settings?

Based on the behavior you are noticing while printing, its likely that the Air Assist Fan on your Carriage Plate may need to be cleaned. When you have a moment, could you work through the instructions here and let me know if the same trouble occurs while printing?

Let us know how it goes!

2 Likes

I cleaned the air assist fan this morning as I suspected that was the issue. It did not resolve the problem.

Are you aware that the PG SD vector engrave settings changed recently? If that’s the setting that’s taking longer, that could be the explanation for the longer print time.

2 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to work through those instructions, and for letting us know that you are still running into the same trouble. Does this only occur when printing on specific material types and manual settings, or are you also seeing it when using Proofgrade material and default settings?

When you have a moment, could you record the behavior you are seeing while printing a small print, and post it to this thread?

Once we can confirm these details, and review the recording, we’ll send over any additional steps.

Stupid question…how do i attach a vid or pic?

We saw you you resolved it on another Forum Post! I’m going to close this post. If you run into any other trouble, please start a new topic, or email us at support@glowforge.com. We’re here to help!

1 Like