Floyd-Steinburg really?

Sorry if I am too meticulous about that.

But why is everybody writing “Floyd-Steinburg-dithering”, if I am remembering correctly the algorithm was developed by Robert W. Floyd and and Louis Steinberg.

So if I am wrong, please correct me, else give him the credits he deserves :clap:

7 Likes

Because Glowforge either spelled it wrong, or came up with their own Floyd-Steinberg-esque dithering algorithm and thought it would be clever to name it Floyd Steinburg. So, technically, until told otherwise, the proper way to refer to the Glowforge settings is, as unfortunate as it may be, “Floyd Steinburg.”

I very strongly debated moving this to Problems and Support. But I decided they have bigger fish to fry at the moment. I hope somebody else disagrees with me and moves it there. :wink:

5 Likes

One typo deserves another? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10 Likes

This typo has been bugging me since the moment I saw the first screenshot posted.

3 Likes

Maybe the original name was trademarked. Or maybe we’re all incorrect about the original and it’s another Berenstein Bears thing. Or Finland.

4 Likes

I feel like if it is close enough to the original to be named for the original, then the name ought to be spelled correctly.

This is one of those bugs where the discussion about whether or not to fix it inevitably eclipses the actual implementation time. I work in software so I always roll my eyes when someone says, “That should be EASY!” because it is often not as simple as it looks.

But in this case… well… fixing strings should be easy.

6 Likes

oh no! it’s almost like it’s a trivially easy mistake to make and will probably be corrected, the horror

4 Likes

Feel free to correct me. Since english is not my first language, there is always a high possibility of errors. I am always happy to learn, but this isn’t helpful. Where is the typo so I can correct it?

1 Like

Please elaborate on the Berenstein Bears/Finland

Edit: Found it (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berenstain_Bears#Name_confusion). Got hooked on learning about Berenstain Bears thanks to your comment!

5 Likes

Don’t sweat it - the typo was “to meticulous” should be “too”. It’s tricky because “too” usually means “also” but in this case means “overly”.

2 Likes

Thank you @jamesdhatch. I fixed it in the original post. You are right, this is tricky. I looked at it for quite a while, but didn’t get it. The spellchecker also didn’t help. Is there some memory hook for this?

Until I actually have my e-mail and delivery…I could give a rat’s ass about names used about dithering! Who gives a rat’s ass? Or…I could be wrong.

None that I’m aware of. It’s just one of those English things that have to be memorized. You can use synonyms (like “overly”) but if you remember to do that, you’d likely remember the correct form of “to/too” to use.

There are enough of these oddities in the language that most people make a mistake or two in a regular basis (I used to edit product reviews so I’m fairly sensitive to errors but I’m also pretty tolerant, especially for people for whom American English isn’t their native language - we have enough things dividing people, we don’t need to add arcane grammar rules to the list).

3 Likes

“Too” is usually used in the sense of “more” or “additional”, like “too much” or “I would like that too”. I use the mnemonic 'too much is spelled with too many Os."

9 Likes

Yeah!

The Finland part is from a reddit post, but you can read about it here if you feel like wasting time on absurd things. But basically, Finland doesn’t exist. People who think they live in Finland are really just living on the coast of Sweden.

But it became a joke for a false memory. “What’s something you remember, but are wrong about?” and people say Finland. They remember there being a Finland.

3 Likes

'too much is spelled with too many Os."

Thank you @Dan. This is really helpful.

1 Like

Sorry to be late in responding; the others have explained it well. Normally I would never make fun of someone’s knowledge of language. I know I’d butcher a second language if I tried. I thought it was an innocent typo, made giggle-worthy used in conjunction with the word meticulous. My bad.

BTW, a quick search of “Steinberg” would have revealed that the same issue was discussed four or five days ago on this forum.

No problem here. I am really happy to learn. The mnemonic Dan mentioned is great. In October I will spent some time in Boston and maybe New York, this will also help to improve my english. It has been some years since my last visit.

1 Like

There are situations when “to” and “much” can be used together.

For example:

“Glowforge began shipping the Pro units, to much fanfare.”

3 Likes

Speaking of mistakes with other languages, I recall trying to describe my special recipe for guacamole to some Spanish-speaking friends, and instead of listing “pico de gallo” as an ingredient, I accidentally said “cinco de mayo.” They burst out laughing and ribbed me about it for a long time!

5 Likes