Floyd-Steinburg really?

that’s a good one :rofl:

Being a native English speaker my conscious brain knows the difference between to / too, there / their, it’s / its, etc. Unfortunately my typing fingers don’t type the word I am thinking, just something that sounds similar, so I have to read back everything I type and correct it. Even then I tend to read what I intended to write, rather that what is on the screen.

7 Likes

I wish I could speak another language (besides muy poquito Espanol), much less spell and understand the nuances!

Also, consider that punctuation SAVES LIVES!

For example:

Let’s eat, Grandma!

or

Let’s eat Grandma!

Without punctuation…someone’s gonna die.

8 Likes

Oxford comma or no? :slight_smile:

(This wikipedia does a great job of talking about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_comma#Ambiguity)

2 Likes

I don’t speak a word of Italian, so when we visited Rome, I did some quick studying. I always use mnemonics to help. I believe Italian word for “you’re welcome” is “prego”. This was easy for me to remember because it is also a popular brand of American spaghetti sauce. So naturally the very first time we went to a nice restaurant and I handed the waiter a check, he said, “Gratzie!” and I said “Ragu!”

21 Likes

Bwahahahaha! Spew!

1 Like

6 Likes

that’s hysterical.

we visited rome a few years ago on one of my SOs work trips and to this day when we have water at home we go, “gaz? no gaz.”

2 Likes

Glad I’m not the only one who uses that mnemonic.
My first trip to Europe was to Munich. I was still jet lagged and needed food so we went to the restaurant across the street from the hotel. The waiter picked up the check and said “thank you” (in English), I replied with “de nada”. I was so embarrassed I didn’t even know how to apologize.

4 Likes

I used to work for a company that makes video gaming machines (slots in the US). Some we made were for export to Spain but none of the people in the office spoke Spanish. A programmer was given the task of adding a Win / Lose gamble feature so he just put in place holder text for Win and Lose. He used Winnero and Nada. This got overlooked for translation as people thought it was Spanish, so ended being used in production and the customer never compalined. It was only when we took on a Spanish programmer that she looked at the machine said “winnero” that isn’t a word!

13 Likes

Wait what typo is everyone talking about? :wink:

3 Likes

They spelled it Steinberg instead of Steinburg in the dithering menu. Such an annoyance

1 Like

I think Sina was the one who made sure it got fixed, actually. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Many, many years ago the Spanish translation file came back and a programmer who spoke a little Spanish noticed that bypass was the Spanish word for freeway. It was meant to indicate the patient was on the heart-lung bypass machine. It was fixed before it shipped. Translations make me so nervous.

3 Likes

I always refer to this one (NSFW-ish):

10 Likes

HAHAHAHA, you might want to add a little to explain the blurred link for people to click on. I clicked to see what was blurred out and was taken directly to a link. While I didn’t mind, there might be some who do…

Yeah I couldn’t figure out how to put the link in there and have it pull in the image, so I just grabbed the image and posted it directly.

Introduce specific dialects and you have a nightmare; a word can mean something quite different in Castilian Spanish vs Chilean, Latin American, etc.

3 Likes

I was told a story a long while ago about someone asked for toothpaste and was told there was a tree out back. It turns out that he asked for Colgate and he said in Spanish it was close to the term for hanging oneself :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes