Flux 3D Printer

Just saw the latest Tested with the Flux 3D printer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh9Xh2OA-j4
Is anyone familiar with it/has one? Know the good and the bad with it?
I am sorely tempted, but my knowledge of lasers and such is basically what I have learned from the GF itself :wink:

4 Likes

Wow, that is a beautiful tool! I didn’t get a chance to see it at Maker Faire, but I’m excited to read reviews when they start coming out.

2 Likes

While this looks like a nice machine, I’ve fallen for the hydra thing several times. Almost always separate tools work better.

6 Likes

Preach it. This could be an exception, but the price point is surprisingly low. I’d be cautious. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

But it connects the heads with magnets! Magnets!
That instantly raises the cool factor by 3x.

7 Likes

The original makerbot cupcake cnc connected the printbed with magnets (or should that be Magnets!). Which was a good thing because it meant nothing broke when the various bad tolerances stacked up the wrong way. (That’s the machine I donated to the local library last year, which may have been a mistake.)

1 Like

Neat, but not for me.

The one machine multi-use factor is very kewl. (not really sure what he ws going to do with the 3d scan of dog doo). Even the price point wasn’t bad.

1 Like

You attach the head by magnets… and he is saying you can do Tattoos with it?

I haven’t given nor obtained a tattoo… but that sounds wrong to me.

Really the only 3D printer I am eager to see is the Carbon oxygen permeated SLA printer (I guess they call it CLIP technology).

I did chat with the FormLabs guys at MakerFaire, and I like a lot of what I am seeing about the Form 2. But I cannot bring myself to sink the cash on another SLA as long as there exists even a small chance that someone may release a CLIP based printer at a sub $5k price (Carbon is so VERY far off that mark)

3 Likes

so very very very far
"subscription based to reduce overhead cost…" minimum 3 year ‘subscription’ at the low low price of only 40k per year not including materials…
edit: all of a sudden I am so much happier with the Glowforge pro price point

5 Likes

Yeah, that was a weird comment about tattoos. I looked over their website and I assume he means it’s a future possibility that they could maybe one day make a tattoo attachment. It was such an odd offhand comment that they just sort of brushed passed.

Except ick. Because bloodborne illnesses and infections. I doubt a tattoo attachment would be single use and I doubt the end user would have the necessary equipment to make sure it stayed clean for multiple uses.

In general, I think devices that do everything tend not to do everything well. Besides my dremel, anything I’ve used with a million different attachments tends to be way more effort than it’s worth.

2 Likes

The drawing attachment can take all sorts of pen shapes, so I think he meant the attachment can hold a tattoo machine and you can just put your arm/hand etc under it.
Not that I think it would look very good :wink: