FOCO Cafe

Oh…I get it. Thanks!

1 Like

True, that definitely happens sometimes, though in this case, if the image had white balanced for the green highlights, everything else would have shifted noticeably towards magenta.Since the walls look neutral, and he said the green in the reflection was the right color, my guess is that in this case, it probably just shifted the overall exposure value.

3 Likes

Good point. =)

So FOCO is in FOCO, CO?
If you expand, change the name to FOCO Co. it would be Amazing.

4 Likes

Yeah I purchased one of those LED bases too I found 3/16" plexi fit snug and the tab base for those who have not purchased the base accommodates a 1/2" deep x 2-3/4" wide tab and one other thing about these bases I found was that a external micro USB battery pack can be plugged in as a power source in stead of using (3) AA batteries or a 5v USB power adapter.

4 Likes

I wanted to hit the :heart: button several times on this one.

4 Likes

You know, they’re much larger than I expected… :wink:

Look at the relief around the fork, knife, & spoon! Awesome detailing, @PrintToLaser

17 Likes

That’s a great idea!

1 Like

Hahaha! 1-1/2" got a lot bigger!
Thank you for your help Dennis!

1 Like

Those look fantastic for a fantastic cause.

[quote=“PrintToLaser, post:1, topic:9182, full:true”]Other side, BTW the font for the ‘Redeemable’ is Hobo standard :rofl:
[/quote]

If you are using AI you can access the Character panel and adjust the kerning and tracking of the letters so that they don’t run into each other when you warp the text. They look great as is but something you can keep use for future projects. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Thanks for that tip! Am still weeding my way around Inkscape, but recently picked up AI for learning.

I haven’t used Inkscape but it does support similar features. Just need to find them. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Hey! Thanks for the link :sunglasses:

In the midst of some frustrations that have been expressed about AI and corresponding laser usage, that’s one of the advantages of designing in desktop publishing software. It’s not a fit-all solution but for layout, it’s difficult to beat.

AI can be a challenge sometimes but you can do some really amazing things with it. Personally I preferred Aldus Freehand and was sorry to see that title get killed off. Now I’m just dating myself. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Are you spraying on some clear shellac or other coating? The engraves won’t really be permanent if in the hands of someone better served by a worry-stone. Having a light coating may help hold that wear off for a while.

Of course… you now have a laser. So replacements are easy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s a good idea Jacob. No I didn’t.

One thing I learned, it’s easier to clean the light residue off a hundred units than it is to weed them. Yeah, the tape works, but I found lightly sliding a single edge razor blade across the surface picks up every little speck of masking quicker than tape. Takes almost a minute to weed both sides, but if I pull the masking before the engrave and drop 10 at a time in an inch of alcohol after engraving and wipe them clean I can do a hundred in around 10 minutes.

I scavenged a rubber roller out of a laser printer that I eviscerated, and use it to roll up the mask and save it for other material. It also works well to apply the mask

2 Likes

I love everything about this project. You clearly have a very big heart. :heartpulse:

That font name on the back though! :joy: :joy: :joy:

1 Like

It’s my Daughter who has a big heart, she knows how to play her cards.
I am happy to contribute, and I am currently involved learning design software, have the use of a glowforge so the stars aligned for her project! :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Oh, man!

Just finished cutting a similar sign (to be edge lit soon), but because I’m looking for it to be multi color, I made SVG files for each layer, with the same cut and registration holes. It’s currently 4 layers of acrylic, but if you think I should separate the top type and the bottom type, I’ll do so!

This is pretty large - about 9.5" wide. My plan is to put different color gel on the bottom of each layer, and just have bright white LED strip along the bottom, possibly with a diffuser to make lighting even across the 4 or 5 layers of acrylic.

19 Likes