Focusing

glowforge is stuck on focus

Welcome to the forum.
Have you read through this material? Stuck Calibrating – Glowforge

Hello @topmachinestone,

Thank you for reaching out to us. I’m sorry to hear that your Glowforge is stuck focusing. I’m happy to help look into this with you.

I extracted the logs from your Glowforge to investigate the problem, and it seems like your unit is running into trouble during the calibration step in which the lens focuses inside the printer head (you may hear this when it’s happening - there’s an audible “ticking” sound as the lens moves up and down in the head). There are a few different reasons this error may be occurring. Could you please check a few things for me to help narrow it down?

1. Check the printer head lens by following steps 1-5 from these instructions: Things That Need Wiping. If you see anything unusual such as damage to the lens or debris in the printer head, please take a photo of it and attach it to your reply.
  2. If you are using magnets to secure material to the crumb tray of your Glowforge, please remove or reposition them and try again. Magnets placed close to the printer head may cause trouble during calibration.
  3. Check the connection of the printer head to the white ribbon cable in the printer arm. Turn off your Glowforge, unplug the head, and plug it back in. Note whether the cable plugs back in securely, and whether you feel it “click” into place

Please let us know how it goes!

Hi @topmachinestone. It’s been a couple days since Morgan’s response and wanted to check in to see if you’re still running into any trouble with your Glowforge getting stuck focusing. Let us know and we’ll be happy to help troubleshoot until you’re back up and printing. Thanks!

Ok heres wat happened we went to calibrate it so we cleaned everything your spose to clean then calibrated it made few cuts then went to cut again and it wouldnt focus so i got on community to see wat i need to do ,nuttin worked sew went thru cleanin process again and found lens had droppeddiwn so i reset and we made cuts then again it wouldnt focus so i checked lens again it haddropped down so i reset and all is good .thank yo

Hi @topmachinestone. Thank you so much for getting back and letting me know you were resolve the trouble with the lens. I’ll go ahead and close this thread, but feel free to create a new thread, or write us at support@glowforge.com, if you run into any trouble. We’ll be here to help. Happy printing!