Fold-out dice box (and dice tower)

Thank you for sharing … Really like the more shallow tray on yours. Our family has always played a dice game … And think this will be great for the kids with smaller hands.

1 Like

Fantastic!!

How thick is the wood used?

2 Likes

This was going to be my question too as i’m currently using 1/8" BB (comes in .117 to .127" in variability) to mock up stuff. No need to ruin :proofgrade: stuff on test runs.

I absolutely love that design. I’ve made a couple of dice towers so far, but I love how yours fold up on itself. I especially like the extra storage on the bottom.

1 Like

This is amazing, wonderful, and you are a king for sharing this file for free! Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you all for the compliments!

@bbum and @wesleyjames: I made the design for “medium” (1/8") Proofgrade, and have tested it on the maple plywood and draftboard. Though I didn’t design for a specific tolerance, the pieces aren’t particularly tight with Glowforge’s kerfs, and I bet a little bit of glue would handle a few thousandths of an inch. (The Glowforge kerf was measured to be ~0.01-0.02", so that should far exceed the variability of your material.)

As a side note for everyone, I’ve updated the file to v3.0.1, which fixes some labels and closes up the gaps on the basement door. The old file works perfectly fine, but you might prefer the new one. I’ve also uploaded the AI file for easy editing, and added a changelog to the README and Google Docs instructions.

As with most free files on the internet, QA is participatory: Please post here with what works and what needs tweaking! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Great design, thank you for sharing. I’ll have to make one of these for my next game night.

I made one of these today. I made a mashup of two different designs though. I took the box design and replaced the graphics. The top image is the logo of my local gaming group (The Saint Paul Irregulars) and the sides and inside are the graphics from this post: Dungeons and Dragons Minis

Thanks again for the design, it went together just great!

8 Likes

That is sick, I may have to copy it. I love it.

1 Like

Some stick-on felt would look good in there.

Hmm, if a person were crazy they could get a couple of colors and cut out a design, so the felt landing pad had some art embedded too.

Loved this dice tower design! Compact, functional, and with some space to hold things as well. I’m stealing that locking lid design for the storage area in my other designs.

I went with my own engraves as well, and found some beautiful black and white fable drawings to put on the sides.

!

I also put what I consider the mantra of my PC’s on the back, so I can remember it every time I GM for them.

8 Likes

@twforeman @rachel.a.worley Oh fantastic! Thank you very much to both of you for sharing how yours came out. I’m so glad you found the design useful, and the art upgrades are really great. Rachel, your fable scenes in particular are a lovely idea!

@GrooveStranger Though felt would be a nice touch, I also thought about gluing some cork sheets for bulletin boards, which are cheap, flexible, laserable, and good for coaster projects and other finishing touches as well. I have some cork sheet and it’s an easy addition, though I haven’t tried myself yet: the interior dimensions of the tray are a nice easy 1:2 rectangle, 2.48" by 4.96", and you can lay it in easily after the box is complete. I only worry about how nicely it’ll play with that main hinge, or whether it’ll rob you of the satisfying rolling noise that the box gives you already!

2 Likes

That’s beautiful.

I love this design and I attempted to make one of my own for my Star Wars Legion game…I downloaded your file and the only thing I changed was the artwork on the side…except now none of the holes are big enough…I know you did this in AI do you think importing it into Inkscape screwed up some of the dimensions? I used proofgrade maple ply for my cut. I can post pictures later but pressed for time right at the moment…

Did you use the same thickness of wood?

Going back and forth between AI and Inkscape can screw up dimensions. I don’t know exactly how it happens, but I had everything print at 3/4 size when my husband “cleaned up” drawings for me. Check that the dimensions are what they are supposed to be before you print.

Sorry to hear the print didn’t work out the first time! One thing you can use to check is that the finished side panels with the art should each be exactly 6" tall, and each panel should be 3" wide at its widest point, so you can check that against Inkscape’s measurement tool and Glowforge’s rulers in the online app. Another quick sanity check is that the layout should be almost exactly 11" tall, so it should fit almost exactly within the height of the cutting area and about 2/3 of the width. Naturally, this design relies on a lot of interlocking parts, so there isn’t really any ability to move or resize the cuts; it sounds like you didn’t do any of that intentionally, though.

I have Inkscape installed, and can try to reproduce your problem, but am not familiar enough with it to know offhand if it tries to automatically resize the file (or if it drops the units of measurement and the Glowforge web app just returns it to a default size).

3 Likes

I also printed this box (pics later). I used Inkscape as that is currently my go-to program. I removed the pictures and added in some new ones and didnt have any issues since i made sure not to touch anything other than the pics.

Printed out, weeded, and glued everything together with PG maple plywood. All good!

2 Likes

Thanks! This really helps! I think the problem happened when I downloaded it. For some reason it was coming out smaller than anticipated. My side panels were only 4.5" tall. It appears that everything was scaled down but I didn’t double check like I should. I’ve triple checked now and all of the slots and tabs are 0.128" square (or rectangle for the slots). My other dimensions are just slightly off from yours but as long as the slots and tabs line up and fit I’m fine with that. I adjusted the artwork to fit what I need. I’ll post pics when I’m done.

Again I appreciate all the help!

1 Like

Just after making a few adjustments it went together like a dream! Most everything is press-fit tight too so I just had to glue the back and a few tabs on the front. Thanks for the great work and sharing your hard work.

9 Likes