Food safe color fill tips?

We find sand colored scorpions all the time at my moms house in Tucson, AZ. At night you can search for them with a black light since they will glow.
We once put a scorpion, a waterbug (big cockroach or palmetto bug)and a jalepeno in a jar to see what would survive…lol. The scorpion did after 3 days😮

6 Likes

Here’s one of my recent expeditions out into west Texas :slight_smile:

15 Likes

It’s a funny thing, people always neglect scorpions when they talk about things that might kill you in Australia. Spiders, jellyfish, stonefish, snakes, octopi, crocodiles, drop bears, stingrays etc. but everyone forgets the scorpions

5 Likes

I’m pondering a Gofundme for the elusive drop bear! Sounds much like our elusive chupacabra!! I don’t know why I love dangerous things but I do. The scorpion (one of many!) was found during a midnight rattlesnake hunt/walk (trying to find a Mojave in small area of west Texas).

4 Likes

Never heard of a whip scorpion! Amazing adaptation.

@smcgathyfay, “palmetto” - that’s an Indian word for giant frickin cockroach!
I remember living in Florida, on a hard floor you could hear them walking at night.

5 Likes

Ewwww…lol. They climbed out of the drains in our house in Tuscon…learned real fast to keep those plugs in and to fill the tub with water and let it drain and wash any away before climbing in for a shower.

3 Likes

There wouldn’t be enough Clorox in the world…:no_mouth:

We get the big 2.5 inch flying kind, but they only come in through the attic spaces from the trees when they get lost. (Absolutely horrifying to be reading a good book late at night, hear the scritch-scritch, and watch one lever itself out of the canned lighting directly overhead.)

Of course, it beats not seeing one while sitting down to take care of business, and having it run up your leg.

7 Likes

"…who knocked the door off the bathroom?

7 Likes

14 Likes

Right? I hardly react to spiders but a scorpion? Yeah.

3 Likes

Born and raised in Florida, but it wasn’t until I was thirty until I saw one. I had never even heard of them. I had seen regular scorpions, brown recluses, water moccasins, rattle snakes, alligators, alligator snapping turtles. But nothing like that!

Sorry @LauraM for hijacking the thread. Would the trays be hand washed? I was wondering if crayola crayons would work? They are non toxic and are cheap. Melt the and wipe off the excess. Or maybe non-toix nail polish?

3 Likes

Ha! No worries, though y’all are definitely bringing up some of my top nightmares.

Trays will definitely be hand washed. Crayons is an intriguing option. Definitely have lots of those around to experiment with. Also have those wax sticks for touching up furniture. I wonder if those are non-toxic.

2 Likes

One of our little friends, completely harmless I’m told.

3 Likes

Could you dye it with coffee??? That would be so cool. Definite food safe and could help with the “patina”

1 Like

I definitely think it’s worth a try.

http://www.docgreenwoodturner.com/coffee.html

Just need to find a safe substitute for the epoxy…maybe whatever glue is used for cutting boards.

2 Likes

Awesome list! :+1::vulcan_salute::metal:

Very interesting critters. For those who have such an interest in things, google urticating hair!

1 Like

Yeah no thank you…you can keep your friend…lol

2 Likes

If you used coffee or even espresso you could dispense them with a needle tipped bottle since they are thin enough to flow through the finer point, and you could most likely control any seepage or spreading simply through technique and the amount of liquid allowed onto the surface. Just use the coffee/espresso directly, no mixing with other stuff needed.

Smooth On’s Task 11 urethane resin is FDA approved for dry food contact but it cures translucent white and may color the wood instead of preserving it.

3 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/FDA-Bond-Administration-Epoxy-Adhesive-Viscosity/dp/B01DJC3FNE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1476035408&sr=8-2&keywords=food+grade+epoxy

It is fairly expensive but you won’t need much. Mix it, fill the engraved areas and leave them slightly “proud” of the surface. Sand it off when it is done hardening.

7 Likes