For those who have received a replacement unit…

If your GF was stuck calibrating and needed to get replaced, I’m curious about the actual process.

• Did they send you a refurbished unit and, if so, was it in good condition cosmetically?
  • Did you have to send your current GF in first or did you wait until you got the replacement unit?
  • Did you exchange the crumb tray or keep your existing one?
  • How long did it take for your exchange process?
  • Is your calibration issue now fully resolved?

New

I had to return mine first.

I think I kept the crumb tray, but mine was back in January, so I don’t quite remember.

If I recall, it was about 2 weeks from when mine was picked up to when I received my replacement.

Yes

2 Likes

I can’t say this about stuck in calibration, because that wasn’t my error but:

It was refurbished. I highly doubt that it every got any laser firing time. Insides were clean as a whistle. Outsides look great. One minor scuffing on the edge of the lid plastic. Might have been where the lid glass needed to be replaced, but that’s just a guess.

I packed my defective machine and shipped it even as I was starting to track the replacement.

You keep the crumb tray and the hose.

From when they gave me the news that my unit needed a warrentee replacement, till I got the new one up and running, about ten days.

Works well. I am concerned about alignment issues, but it works fine. No calibration waiting or errors.

4 Likes

Mine wasn’t stuck calibrating; it lost alignment on the right side of the bed. But I figured my input wouldn’t hurt, for the relevant items. :wink:

Yes, and yes.

Sent it after.

Kept the old one.

Four days.

4 Likes

They sent me a new one & took about a week from the time I contacted them. They sent the replacement & I then sent them the defective one. Very happy with customer service.

5 Likes

Mine was not a calibration issue, but it was an alignment thing. I had received a refurb unit sent out to me before I sent mine back, though they told my that under normal circumstances I would have to give them a card number to do that they helped me out. In physical condition of the machine, it was great, I had thought it was a new machine at first, but the only thing that told me to check to see if it was a refurb was the amount of smoke stain on the drag chain in the left hand side of the machine. I kept my crumb tray as they said to do so, my machine arrived in 5 days I believe. And yes, the issue was resolved. BUT… that was a good experience, I have been talking to @mnemosyne and they have been told that they were being helped but some of it seems like blatant disregard for ACTUAL QC . the issue they had was related to alignment and a grind sound I believe, the second machine they got had the top front door and metal handle piece detached from the glass, and the third machine (most recent) has very clear signs of use including a clear smell and not very clean. But I also just read a recent post from them saying that the smell appears to be a leaky reservoir because there is a bit of coolant leaking from it and a very strong smell. Now this may just be honest mistake after honest mistake, but it really shouldn’t take more than one replacement to solve an issue, but 3 and counting… it sounds like someone isn’t doing there job, or someone wasn’t trained to do QC correctly. that is assuming that refurbs get QC’d again.

5 Likes

We don’t know what the green stuff is, the team couldn’t identify it. Maybe cleaning fluid of some kind. I don’t think it’s coolant. I do think they would benefit from more eyes on the QC process for refurbs. I’ve seen one that was basically brand new but with a broken door, and one with dirty optics and soot (and smelly inside). To the support team’s credit I feel they have worked hard to make things right, but this does need some attention.

1 Like

I guess QC continues to be an issue. Take a look at a thread I posted last October when I first go my GF:

WTH? Glowforge sold me a refurbished unit!

I hope my new replacement unit will be QC’d a bit better so it doesn’t have any issues.

I’m not sure how you’d tell the difference between “refurbished” and “factory tested.” My original GF had some traces of smoke residue, but I chalked that up to them actually firing it up and performing tests (aka QC) to make sure it functioned correctly before shipping it out of the factory. Never once occurred to me to jump to the conclusion that they had sent me a refurb.

Then again, it would never once occur to me to think a LOT of things I’ve seen posted here. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Did you see the pictures in the thread I linked to above?

I’m on my 4th unit:

• Did they send you a refurbished unit and, if so, was it in good condition cosmetically?
    -It was a new unit each time.
  • Did you have to send your current GF in first or did you wait until you got the replacement unit?
    - No. I got my replacement first, and then sent the faulty units back after.
  • Did you exchange the crumb tray or keep your existing one?
    - You keep your crumb tray.
  • How long did it take for your exchange process?
    - I got each one within a week, give or take a few days.
  • Is your calibration issue now fully resolved?
    - I had different issues with each one, but it was never calibration that was the issue.
1 Like

The first one I received was pristine, the second, you’d know right away was not new. I guess the most obvious was sooty optics and case / strong odor. I’d hope the quality control goes up in the future, especially for people who are exchanging a new machine.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 32 days. New replies are no longer allowed.