Foreign exchange and tax clarification

Oh my word… Thanks for this message as it made me wonder what on earth I’d done wrong in my calcs (This, ladies and gentlemen, is why I’ll never do accounts): I won’t be paying ~£400 and an additional £500 at all. I’ll be paying about £500 total (a difference of about £100). I was (stupidly) adding the increased value of the GF into the mix with the increase in tax, which of course I don’t have to pay. Excuse me whilst I facepalm.

I make your tax/duty out to be about £1000 though based on a current GBP value of £3943 :confused: but you definitely shouldn’t trust my calcs lol.

Yes about £3943 so that is £787 in VAT plus duty plus brokerage. Import duty looks like it will be a whopping 4.5% here: https://www.dutycalculator.com/popular-import-items/import-duty-and-taxes-for-laser-cutting-machine/ so that will actually be £966 plus brokerage.

i know, right? it’s extra frustrating because sometimes companies will dropship from the US even through a canadian portal. i got hit with fees that nearly doubled the price of a speaker i bought last year that way. i don’t think it should really be legal since the customer can really be screwed.

I’d have informed them “I choose to self-broker” and done the paperwork myself, at that rate… there’s no way I’d pay anything more than 20% of an item’s cost for brokerage fees.

1 Like

trust me i was taken completely by surprise at the door, at which point there’s nothing to be done; it’s not like i could deny delivery and necessarily get money back without some stupid restocking fee.

either way now it’s something i check every time.

2 Likes

That’s the rub, eh? When it’s right there in front of you, it’s like Christmas Morning and rationality to stop and say, “What now?” goes out the window.

Must… remain calm… when 'forge arrives… :confounded:

1 Like

when i ordered a rowing machine from a company here in ontario, it got drop shipped from a us supplier. i felt super bad for the ups guy because he lugged it into the lobby of our then-condo. when he’s like okay that’ll be like $280, i laughed at him, walked upstairs, and left a medium angry message on the voicemail.

supposedly it should never have happened, but yeah, one of those things you have to watch out.

3 Likes

Yes please do esp as we have the international shipping costs :slight_smile:

I’m with you Brother’s and Sisters. Even though I live in a US Territory I get charged international rates from the shippers other than USPS. Its ludicrous. I have to pay customs, Gross Receipt Tax, etc. None of this is factored into the :glowforge: price. Add the warranty replacement and its a pain…