Fountain screen

We have a fountain on our deck that I love. Inside, is a ‘splash screen’…to diffuse water coming out of the crow’s beaks. It also hides the pump and hoses a little bit, too. The screen had rusted a lot…and one of the legs rusted right off.

Around the same time as Jim Hatch was teaching me about creating files for the Glowforge…nearly a year ago, this was going to be my next challenge…to replace the screen with an acrylic one. Today was the day. It was my first time designing something that had to have notched things to attach. It’s far from perfect, but I learned a lot and now I have a replacement screen! I ended up having to use a bit of glue for the legs, but now I think I can design more carefully next time.

Thank you again, Jim…for getting me started. Form AND function!

75 Likes

That’s spectacular @Xabbess ! (Not something I would have thought to replace, but it just goes to show how much we can do with these things!)

And the new one won’t rust out either! :smiley::+1:

(and thanks for posting to the highlights!)

11 Likes

So cool! I really love it when people make something that’s so practical.

8 Likes

Excellent job! It’s so much fun to be able to solve little problems around the house by making things. Super cute fountain BTW.

4 Likes

Great job @Xabbess that looks like it will be really nice in there. It has been great coming along for the ride as you have been learning how to use the Glowforge. Thanks for taking the time to share with the community.

5 Likes

What?! Problem solved. I LOVE it!

5 Likes

What I find amazing about this is I’d be thinking who do I know that welds? Very nice alt material usage.

7 Likes

Great imagination to solve a problem!! Looks awesome!

3 Likes

Such a clever fix! Maslow says when the only tool you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail. When you only have a Glowforge, everything looks like… a laser-solvable problem? I gotta work on that. :wink:

10 Likes

Very nice! And it also looks like a nice setup to add some lighting effects inside! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Looks awesome. When I saw it out if perspective, I thought it was huge for a moment.

3 Likes

me too!

2 Likes

Great job @Xabbess saving your fountain!

2 Likes

Awesome job @Xabbess!! And, such a crazy coincidence…I was at a craft show this weekend and a vendor was selling that exact same style of fountain, crows and all haha

3 Likes

So great!

1 Like

Well done! Love the creativity!

2 Likes

This looks WAY prettier than the metal screen :smiley:

How well does the acrylic screen work? I’d be concerned that the holes might be too small and cause the water to splash all over the place.

I’d be tempted to hit at least some of the holes with a countersink bit to hopefully prevent some of the water splashing.

3 Likes

Very cool…this should be a good replacement!

1 Like

Woohoo!!! Looks great. How’s it working?

1 Like

Wonderful design work!

1 Like