Front Lid out of place

Continuation of a discussion here

I just took my GF out of the box and put it on my new, leveled cart and was about to start removing dunnage when I noticed that there may be an issue. Check out the front here. Is this safe to continue unpacking or is this a serious issue?

As far as I can tell, that’s not right.

Having gone through a couple of units myself, I can say that none looked like that. In all, the very front of the lid was pretty flush with the sides. Maybe not perfect, but nothing like your pictures.

I’d recommend waiting for Support to give you the all clear before attempting to cut anything. I imagine with the way things are now, your alignment is going to be way out of spec. They’ll want you to be totally happy.

it’s not the lid that’s off. it’s the front door. if you look at the bottom right corner below the logo, you see a large gap there. you may need to see if that door needs to be reseated properly.

4 Likes

Oh, hey… Look at that. I was so focused on the lid I didn’t even look at the door.

2 Likes

Yeah but it should just pop back into place.

2 Likes

@Brandon_R, @shop is correct. I’m sorry your Glowforge arrived this way.

Would you please:

1. Remove the orange tape
  2. Open the lid
  3. Fold the front door down so that it’s parallel to the floor
  4. If you have another person around, ask them to put one hand on each side of the doorway and push to make the doorway wider. It’s ok to use some strong pressure here.
  5. With the front door still parallel to the floor, push the right side lower until the door pops into place.
  6. Close the front door and the lid
  7. Post a picture of the result

Thank you!

9 Likes

I think we may be in business. I’ll know more tomorrow when I unpack. Thanks!

13 Likes

The lid is still raised a bit on one side but it prints. If it’s not going to harm the alignment, I think it’ll be fine.

4 Likes

if you want to try to get it even more flat, you could check to make sure your table is completely flat and level. and if you need, you can add shims under the corners to level the GF out. I added one very small shim to the front left corner and that was all it took to get the lid flush with the rest of the machine.

That is normal. You want to look at the front edges for good alignment.

1 Like

You know I hadn’t thought of rechecking it after I wheeled it around to hook up the hose. I made sure the table was level before but it’s an old house. I imagine any time I unlock the wheels and scoot it I’ll have to recheck it. I’ll throw my 2ft level on there again and see where we’re at. It’s got heavy bolts to adjust the wheel height that take some elbow grease to adjust. I don’t know why I didn’t think to use the pack of shims laying on the floor right next to the dang thing. Ugh.

I put a level(2 actually) on mine and shimmed it. The lid started grinding so I unleveled it and said fooey.

2 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to do that, @Brandon_R, and for posting these photos. I’m glad to hear you’re up and printing!

Regarding the lid closing flush with the top of the Glowforge, @johnse is correct. That’s a variation that we’ve been seeing on these first machines - It doesn’t normally impact operation in any way.

Each Glowforge unit is tested on a flat granite slab, so making sure the surface under your Glowforge is flat assists with the lid closing easily. As others have mentioned, you can try inserting a shim or spacer under the center of the printer. If that doesn’t help, try moving the shim to either edge. It may require some experimentation to get it leveled so that it closes properly.

Would you let us know if these suggestions address the issue you’re seeing?

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.

1 Like