Frozen 2

Just posting this here because new folks might look here for advice. So went to start a 2-tone acrylic job tonight, and first noted the exhaust tubing puff up and then suddenly relaxed. Of course I realized I hadn’t shoveled the snow undoubtedly piled up in front of the outlet. But actually that was only part of the issue. The louvres had actually frozen to each other, and the fan was surprisingly powerful enough to pop the whole louvre assembly out (it’s hinged for cleaning) so that’s the deflation I saw. Anyway shoveled in front of it, and a quick whack wig that snow shovel freed up the louvres. All back to normal.

I’d post a photo but don’t want to go out in that mess again. Also it’s a dryer vent with snow on it…

24 Likes

Pics or it didn’t happen.

:slight_smile:

8 Likes

He painted a pretty good picture there man… :grimacing:

3 Likes

He’s still a few hundred words shy of a picture…

8 Likes

Alright tomorrow morning I will post a pic of a frosty dryer vent…

9 Likes

And here I am shivering in 67 degrees :cold_face:

4 Likes

I’m with JB on this one. We need to see a pic taken at 4 am with a flash or it totally didn’t happen.

7 Likes

You have the technology, The exhaust vent with that technology at hand could look like a gargoyle and blowing smoke into the cold air would be a most stunning photo.

4 Likes

I hate you all. But luckily it is snowing hard again… this is after shoveling out in front of it last night…

16 Likes

Definitely worth MORE THAN a thousand words! :wink:

7 Likes

Power to make that pop: There is a fair amount of surface area in play (4-inch hose has a cross section of 12.5 in^2), the square loover assembly even more than that (16 to 25 would be my guess). So, does not take much pressure, to wind up with a goodly force. force = pressure x area.

1 Like

Here’s the bed of my truck this afternoon after last night’s snow. But at least it’s 34 degrees now :blush:

9 Likes

I am just hoping this isn’t a sign of things to come…

My vent is high enough that it won’t be impacted by most snow drifts, but it’s a good point to check that the louvres aren’t frozen shut.

1 Like

Are you sure there’s a truck in that picture??

5 Likes

Wow, and here I am hoping we’ll get at least 3 inches of snow this winter!

3 Likes

We can mail you some. Got lots to spare & I think @henryhbk got more. :smile:

5 Likes

I’m in a slightly different weather zone (same state, but radically different weather patterns), but we’re over a foot here. Lost 2 days of school because of storm timing. It’s not that much in the greater scheme of things, but we don’t usually start out quite this strong!

1 Like

I had to really look to see the outline,

2 Likes

Drives my wife nuts. She gets up at 5 waits for the closing notice (the Superintendent makes the call) and then goes back to bed if it’s closed. Towns all around us will announce the night before, but not ours.

Worse us when they call a delay - an hour or 90 minutes but then decide an hour later to close. No going back to bed :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

We knew on Sunday that Monday was off, but they waited til this morning to call it. I think it was a poor choice in this case, but I’m glad I’m not making the decisions. My kids are at a charter school that spans a number of other towns so they have a big region to worry about when calling school.

Delays just suck. Our cities won’t delay because it’s too hard for parents, but we’re in the 'burbs, so we suck it up. Delays are especially bad for me because my husband normally gets the kids up and out to the bus stop in the morning, but with a delay I have to do it. And the bus stop is 15 minutes aways, so it’s not just down the street.

1 Like