Frozen glowforge on delivery

I just picked up my replacement unit from the post office and opened it to inspect it. The fluid inside is frozen. Should I be concerned?
(box was kinda damaged too)Thanks!!

1 Like

That’s quite possibly the most-interesting support issue I’ve read to date.

I suggest once it’s thoroughly thawed you’ll be fine.

6 Likes

It does make me wonder what the freezing point is; I don’t recall seeing it in the forum.

3 Likes

There was a massive thread about this, people wanting to know the freezing point of that fluid.

I’d say if you let it thaw and it’s not leaking, you’re probably ok. I might wait for the GF staff for official word.

3 Likes

Ah here it is…

https://community.glowforge.com/t/lowest-safe-temperature-for-storage-of-glowforge-coolant-does-it-expand-freezing-point/16157?source_topic_id=18656
2 Likes

It makes me wonder if that post office is also used to store meats.

8 Likes

How do you know it’s frozen? Does it look like Ice, or Gel? Is it simply not moving? Or is cloudy? Or just that it’s freezing cold to the touch / foggy on the glass and not sure about it?

Let us know if the glass cracked. For sure

Let us know the outdoor temperature at the time of “freezing” please! I’m trying to narrow down 1.) the temperature range for this fluid and 2.) whether the fluid expands with cold or not

For science.

6 Likes

^^^^^
:upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Note to self: don’t check the forum while drinking coffee. It tends to go everywhere :rofl:

5 Likes

Thanks guys! I just got it home and am letting it warm up. I’m pretty sure it was frozen. From all looks it seems good. There’s what appears to be a bit of condensation inside the tube but nothing that seems serious. I’m letting it all warm up to room temperature before I turn it on.

2 Likes

That’s surprising. Mine was in a truck in temps well below zero (F) for several days. I didn’t open the box though until it was in the house for a couple of days so maybe it was slush and melted. I do know it didn’t crack anything and leak. It’s been fine.

1 Like

Celcius up there in Canada.
Metric is much colder. :grin:

3 Likes

It was -18C where I picked it up today

2 Likes

for your info, according to the manual, as it appears today (I think it was different in the past):
"do not put the Glowforge unit where it could experience:
Extreme temperature or humidity
Temperatures below 40 degrees Fahrenheit (5 Celsius)“
AND
"Print when the ambient temperature is within the following ranges. Printing outside these
ranges may cause your print to pause periodically or fail to complete.
â—ŹBasic: Between 60 degrees Fahrenheit (16 Celsius) and 75 degrees Fahrenheit (24
Celsius)
â—ŹPro: Between 60 degrees Fahrenheit (16 Celsius) and 81 degrees Fahrenheit (27
Celsius)”

so the “below 40f” reccomandation is even when it is not in use. (fyi, I’m Canadian as well and we had weeks at end of temps reaching -20c)

3 Likes

The good news is you won’t have the long waits for “cool down” with your :glowforge::neutral_face:

(Was 81 F today in Tucson)

10 Likes

Just an update, Everything is running fine so far.

9 Likes

I was just complaining about it being “freezing cold” here because it’s in the 40s and 50s this week, instead of the mid 60s. I’m sorry for complaining about it when there are those less fortunate :slight_smile:

Edit: … Do I need to clarify that that’s Fahrenheit and not Celsius? I do not live in Death Valley in the middle of July.

2 Likes

I’m glad to hear that everything’s running for you.

I’m going to close this thread but if you have any other questions please don’t hesitate to open a new thread or email support@glowforge.com

2 Likes