FSL Muse adding full 3d scanning to newer models

The arms race is heating up! Does Glowforge have anything up their sleeves?

9 Likes

If well integrated, 3d scanning would be a fantastic feature for some applications. Since GF upped their camera accuracy game, price is probably the main differentiating factor, along with the normal laundry list (cloud requirements, engrave speed, etc.)

2 Likes

I thought FSL sold or licensed the MUSE to Dremel, or am I thinking of something else?

Looks rather like a mechanical “Set Focus” button.

2 Likes

Yes, you are correct. I get emails from Dremel about their laser - no mention of this yet. If it were me, I would buy from Dremel, but I have hear to many stories about the FSL muse to consider it.

2 Likes

You’re correct, but they still run their own line.

1 Like

Maybe it’s because I’m on an airplane and can’t watch the videos, but the site seems like completely meaningless gibberish to me. Comptron Flibbert technology allows you to achieve new market opportunities thanks to Comptron Flibbert technology ushering in a new age of Comptron Flibbert technology. Trademark.

1 Like

LOL!
Yeah, they dont’ really say what it will DO…
Or how much it will add to their current laser prices…
Or…

Well FSL has never been good at being innovative or executing well, they are more of a repackaging company which is why this endeavor is surprising. It’s taking one of the features that stood out from the Glowforge (which still hasn’t really materialized, if it ever will) and takes the potential to the next level.

The sensors onboard the Glowforge head are all about detecting edges and height, and using that data for better placement and on the fly focus adjustments; mostly none of which have materialized. Whether that’s due to hardware not being able to keep up, or software being more complicated than expected, I’m not sure.

The jump to a full 3D sensor actually makes a LOT of sense in this arena and would help get past a lot of the hurdles the Glowforge group has or is going to be running into trying to build this same type of model from super small snapshots of less informative data. For example, their on the fly depth camera would have to build a height map one pass at a time and would have to make another pass to have updated data AFTER the engrave has been done. Very inefficient.

Being able to shoot a full bed and know depth/height data almost instantly would allow not only for some pretty advanced alignment features very quickly, but also be the first step in gathering calibration data for automatic engraving to chosen depth.

Now whether FSL can pull any of this off is very questionable…but it’s definitely the right direction to be going.

The usefulness of a sensor like this in any type of machining in general would be tremendous (as long as it has a reasonable amount of resolution).

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.