Full sheet designs no longer fit!

About a year ago I had a design that was optimized to cram as much as possible into the “printable” area of a Proofgrade board. We rotated items around to fit within the margins of printable area using the default settings.

About a year later I went to re-create one of those designs and now it no longer fits! This is a design that used to work perfectly fine but it appears that the margins have crept inward a bit and so now the whole design is useless.

This took HOURS to create so I don’t want to keep experimenting with things to find a new fit. Plus I’m worried I’ll end up having to waste some space that previously was usable, increasing my wastage.

Any thoughts as to why this happened and any possible solutions? Thanks!

There hasn’t been any change to the size of the bed that the head can reach, it should still be slightly under 19.47" by 10.94" or so for cutting.

Does your design include engraving? If there is engraving included in a design that reaches out to the cutting limits, check the speed being used. Higher speed engraves will make the non-engraving margins larger, and that encroaches on the bed area.

(There was an improvement/upgrade to the engraving speed that went through sometime last year…if you see an engraving speed higher than 1000, try reducing it to 1000 to go back to the old margins.)

2 Likes

I suspect that had something to do with the higher speed capability that was rolled out. The head can move faster, but it needs more distance to accelerate. I believe that reduced printable area.

1 Like

Yes it includes engravings, something we accounted for earlier by rotating things around to try and keep engravings as far away from the edges as possible. Again, all of this used to work just fine. The design is identical from before when it used to work fine.

I’ll see if I can fiddle with the engraving settings. I was hoping to be able to leave them on the system defaults…

This proves that @jules can type faster than i can because I started before she did :smiley:

4 Likes

I could be a court stenographer. :smile:

4 Likes

Don’t they use shorthand kind of language though?

1 Like

Yeah…my accuracy isn’t really good enough either.

Not great in court…

:smile: Whooopsie!

Are you setting your material height? You’re not going to get a reliable representation of your image until you’ve entered your PG material type, or for non-PG material, used the Set Focus tool (preferred) or entered a manual height.

2 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that your design no longer loads as expected. It looks like you’ve already received some great information and advice from our other community members. Thanks folks!

Will you please let us know what you find when either selecting one of the other preset engrave settings, setting the material height or adjusting the speed?

It’s been a while since we’ve heard from you, so I’m going to close this post.

If you are still having trouble, please start a new post or reach out at support@glowforge.com. We’ll be happy to take a look.