Fully engraved pick guard

i’ll ask Chris for some advice and share. he’s built a bunch of different guitars, so i’m sure he’s buying things piecemeal and putting what he wants in each.

i know the bodies he’s just picked up in different places (like ebay). we started with a couple of cheap ones (like $40 for the body blank) so if something happened when we did engravings, it was a low-risk.

i haven’t measured other bodies yet, but a telecaster body fits comfortably inside

1 Like

It looks awesome! well done!

2 Likes

Ok thank you. I’ll check out ebay first. :slight_smile:

1 Like

That came out great! I wonder how it impacts the integrity of the acrylic for items that are used. I’ve never considered and all over acrylic engrave.

2 Likes

it’s definitely a lot less stable. it’s going to be screwed into a 1.5" thick slab of wood, so that will help :wink: . i think it’s really important to think about how you’re going to use a piece.

also, while this is a little unstable, it’s also 1/16 acrylic. if you did the same engrave in a 1/8 or thicker, it would be a lot more stable. 1/16 is already a very flexible piece of material.

1 Like

Oh wow, that is amazing! I’d be chewing my nails on that engrave too. Well done!

2 Likes

Oh, yeah. I can’t even begin to thinking about engraving my 1/16 acrylic. Yours is impressive, though.

1 Like

Now I know what it is! And the angled shot really makes it POP!

Did you design the engrave pattern>

it’s from a seamless tile that i got from Adobe stock. but with modifications after creating the shape, rasterizing it and pulling it into photoshop to work with levels to get the right contrast. i had several variations and engraved 1" squares to test which contrast and setting combo got me what i wanted. started with 3 squares at different levels of contrast (left being close to the original pattern and right being the most contrasty).

i ended up going w/the one on the right and running 3D engrave. anyone wants the settings, i can post elsewhere / PM.

8 Likes

Thx! Good info on testing to achieve desirable results!

1 Like

Chris told me this is the kit he started with. And the Maximo guitar is the okume kit. He’s bought a few, so he sometimes mix and matches electronics. But it’s safer to buy a matched body/neck kit for fit.

We did run into a fit problem with the pick guard. The kit didn’t use a standard 8-hole dimension. It’s juuuust a little longer. And I didn’t have the guitar here to measure/check, so I measured it against my tele, which is standard (not a knockoff kit). So I’ll be redoing it. Working from home this week, so just need to find a no phone call gap for 2 hrs to re engrave. Adapting and double checking those measurements against the original pick guard.

sigh

2 Likes

Awesome, thank you. It’s not really in the budget right now but I will try there first when I get some income. Hopefully the glowforge will help with that issue.

Wow that looks great!!!

I am working on my first guitar engrave for a friend, it’s an older guitar but still I would hate to mess it up. Would you mind sharing your settings? I am going to be engraving the body and the pick guard.

(upload://iMRlc4ZxgfSLvprb5RQxBSL5I37.jpeg)

1 Like
1 Like

Thanks for the input! I’ll let you know how it goes.

Settings please. Looks amazing!

1 Like

Fabulous!

1 Like

this is a 3D style design with grayscales in it and i used the 3D engrave style of engraving. but your settings will really depend upon your design. i’ve done other 3D engraving that had completely different settings to work. if i go dig up the settings i used here, they’re not likely to work for you unless you’re using 1/16" acrylic with a very similar gradient design.

Wow! You are so talented! Really cool!

1 Like