Fumes From Cutting Prograde Material

Lots of us do it, though. I don’t run mine 24/7, thankfully, but it’s right off our kitchen. I don’t think it’s a big issue for a hobbyist if it’s vented well. If I ran it more, I’d get an air purifier, for safety reasons more than smell. I don’t notice “residual stink.” :slight_smile:

1 Like

Having gone through 4 warranty replacement Foobots, none of which ever worked right, I can’t say I am surprised if they are off the market.

I also have a separate CO2 meter that is widely regarded as reasonably accurate:

Recent casual investigation suggests these might be good, if you want a smart device:

… and, these might be if you don’t:

I have not tried either one, yet.

Wasn’t there a Darwin award one time for a guy who basically farted himself to death in his tiny bedroom?

3 Likes

One of the last before Enumclaw.

Was a good thing he did not have a candle lit. :grimacing:

1 Like

I have just ordered my machine, so I am planning the installation. I am considering putting in a scrubber, and came across your reference to an air scrubber. Is yours a homemade unit or commercially available? Any details would be appreciated.

FYI…

1 Like

Reasonably certain this is the one I bought. I will say that the filters are cheaper than the glowforge filters, but they still don’t last long. I use them long past where most people would because I honestly am not bothered by the smell that much. It also is complaining that the hepa filter needs replaced… So as I stated before; the best solution is to vent outside.

2 Likes

Thanks for your prompt reply. I misunderstood when you said air scrubber. I was thinking like a wet scrubber used to knock down fine dust, and potentially have some absorption of the fumes. I am a Chemical Engineer by training so I had a different mindset. I have seen several DIY wet scrubbers on YouTube videos related specifically to woodworking and sandblasting.

By the way, I do plan to vent outside even if I put in a wet scrubber, but I live in a community where the neighbor houses are about 10 feet apart from each other, so I am trying to arrange to not be “that neighbor” that everyone complains about.

Interesting. I never thought about a wet scrubber before. I can see where that would be far superior to what I have even if it seems like it would be significantly more “needy” in upkeep.

I vented mine through the wall to the outside using the same as a dryer vent…

1 Like

That is an interesting idea !

In point of fact what looks like a lot of smoke inside can be barely detectable once it mixes with regular air. Another thing I discovered is that long narrow spaces almost always have the air moving up and down the length of them rather than across unless it is either very close to perpendicular or still. Those who go out of their way to be annoyed still will be, but unless down wind on the same wall they should not be bothered, A heavy smoker would cause more stink.

A problem with a wet scrubber I think is the need to handle more than 200 CFM throughput which could get messy if it started to foam. But if such things could be worked out it could be very ideal.