Fun small tiles from Home Depot

They call them penny tiles, they’re about 0.75” in diameter, about .24” tall. Not sure what I’m going to do with them but I’ll think of something. I better, because they come as a sheet of 240 tiles!

Engraved and very quickly sharpied.

They aren’t smooth enameled, they have a little texture to them. Despite that, they clean up pretty well.

Update: There’s a whole line of these, I had no idea. This includes a high gloss version which would probably clean up a little more easily.

24 Likes

They’d be great for for pins!

ooh. if those were 1/8" tall I’d be all over them for board game pieces. But they would be perfect stand-ins for D&D monster figs.

1 Like

A very quick hit on a belt/disc sander would take care of that. Wear a mask, ceramic dust is no joke.

2 Likes

I will certainly give them a look.

If nothing else, make 'em into refrigerator magnets or checker game pieces!

2 Likes

I had a similar thought, a nice travel checkers/chess set is definitely an option. Almost perfect size for Go/Pente. They’re very slightly domed, they feel nice in your hand.

Sand them thinner and they’d make a really good 1/8" mixed media inlay centerpiece. @rbtdanforth works a lot in 1/4", he wouldn’t really have to do much to them at all.

3 Likes

Great idea! Now back to the depot for more tile…

2 Likes

I just bought a ton of these in a few finishes. Going to make magnets from some.

2 Likes

They would make great game tokens, or in your case some great inlay materials. How well did they separate from the backing?

3 Likes

They tear off easily, leaving a tiny bit of residue. A quick hit on 320 grain sandpaper removes the last of it. Like quick quick, 5 or 6 strokes. If I had to do 100 of them, I’d cut a jig to hold them in place and then run a hand sanding block right over it.

You might be able to remove it with a solvent if you preferred, but I just went mechanical.

3 Likes

I’m sure the backing would be a great help too for engraving them in one whack, then mechanically remove the residue on the back.

2 Likes

Depends entirely on your precision requirements.

I have no idea what that backing is made of… I wouldn’t want to find out it was unsafe to laser. I’d be more likely to cut a jig for engraving as a gang. I just did the one, so I cut a 0.75" circle out of baltic and slotted the tile in for engraving. Can’t beat the accuracy of a good jig.

2 Likes

Just soaking them in water may take care of softening up the adhesive used to adhere them to the mesh so you can wipe/scrape it off the back (if you don’t have other reason to sand down the back).

I have too many horror stories of working with tiles on mesh that the mesh and even the adhesive used absorbed moisture out of the thin set/mortar bed & so had a mess to work with to get tiles relaid to finish bath or kitchen projects in various homes over the years!)

1 Like

True.

1 Like

pretty cool, I’ve always wondered how easy they are to separate from the mesh backing? do they just peel off? need to sand the backs after?

Troll, or just didn’t read the thread? You can never tell :wink:

1 Like

Nah not a troll, just read the post at the top and got excited to ask a question lol. ill go back up and read through.

2 Likes

I’ve just ordered a couple of samples from Home Depot. Can’t wait to see what I can do with them.

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.