Funny story

I was walking back to my computer (which is in a different room) after setting up my material in the Glowforge when I heard a loud snap coming from that area. I rushed back into the room and closely inspected everything but couldn’t find a problem.

This was actually the second time this has happened, with the same result (last time was a few weeks ago). Now I’m really start to worry so I gave everything a really good look over, and finally located the problem.

I had taken the five large magnets out of the machine as I was using holddown pins for this project, and I had distributed them evenly on top of the left side of the GF, pretty far from each other (I thought). Close inspection revealed two of them snapped together, still clad in their duct tape jackets.

Whew!

26 Likes

Chuckle! Hard to fight that attraction! :smile:
(You need to name those Romeo and Juliette.)

8 Likes

Good catch and whoa…

3 Likes

They are rigid and shatter pretty easy.
Good that they were taped or there would be a lot of sharp crumbs.

4 Likes

I’ll put them on top of the GF rail inside when I’m swapping out material. I have been known to forget to take them all off if I don’t need them all to hold down the new piece…and then after zipping back & forth some, they choose to come off and plant themselves in all manner of interesting places :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I taped some Steel flashing to the front of the Glowforge and all my magnets live there when not otherwise occupied.

5 Likes

Whew! Those magnets can be scary!

3 Likes

Your glowforge must have exploded

9 Likes

Two of the 1-1/2" dic magnets I was holding snapped together and pinched me hard enough to draw blood. First time I had ever been bitten by magnetism.

I put a screw through a large washer and mounted it next to my machine, I store the 10 I have there.

Reminds me of Tom Hanks in Castaway, hearing a coconut drop. “Hello…?”

6 Likes

No blood here yet … But some scares … May try your idea!

2 Likes

I have a metal bar on the wall next to the GF for exactly this reason!

The magnets go on the bar, don’t move, and I don’t perpetually forget where the hell I left them. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I had one opened package of the big ones leap across the desk and hookup with another unopened stack. There was both blood and pain from the flying shrapnel when they met.

(Be careful with the neodiddliums.) :open_mouth:

5 Likes

Mine go on the cart the GF is on for long term storage (between sessions). But that doesn’t mean the lazy me won’t use any flat space inside the GF to put the magnets when reloading materials since it’s a whole 18" to the sides of the metal cart :wink:

3 Likes

Same here. Place or remove one very strong magnet at a time. No pinching or problems.

4 Likes

I too have this merit badge, plus the one for picking up magnet crumbs when they shatter.

10 Likes

Oh that brings back memories…got some of those big tool holder strip magnets from harbor freight…and two snapped together with good chunk of skin between. Try getting them apart with one hand (because your other one is stuck and essentially useless).
Nice big blood blister and huge bruise…

5 Likes

Brought a funny memory back.
Brother was on a boat fishing with me and got a huge blue crab. He was going to put it into the box to make sure did not glom more bait.
It grabbed a finger so he cussed and dropped stuff he was holding and as soon as his other hand was near the crab clamped onto it.
He was dancing around cussing with a crab handcuff. Figured he needed a hand (so to speak).
Just as I was getting up to assist he cut to the chase and just bent down and kneed the crab a few times and crushed it.
Great plan, except he now had two dead crab claws vised onto either hand and crab guts all over his spot.

Now when we get into a boat and the first comment is always “Mind The Crabs”.
That goes about as you would expect.

8 Likes

Must be why Support only recommends using pieces of PG to weight down materials on the bed :sunglasses:

5 Likes

I’ve had that happen and it startled me.

1 Like

LOVE that. I’ve adopted that name. :rofl:

2 Likes