Furniture mockup

So my father-in-law offered to make a bed frame for my son. We had some back and forth about the design. My wife had made a few hand sketches but it was difficult for my father in law to get a sense of the entire design. So enter the Glowforge. I drew the bed frame in V-Carve Pro… yes, I know, I really need to learn another software. The pattern for the headboard was the hardest part, but we found a design online that we liked and I imported it into V-Carve and traced it by hand.

Then I scaled the frame to 1/8 size and cut out the various parts from 1/8" MDF (which would then scale to 1" thick in the model). A few tabs and slots and some dabs of hot glue and it was complete.

As the final touch, when my in-laws were here for Easter, we used the GF to cut out a full size cardboard template of the headboard using the pass through. It didn’t come out perfect - the X alignment was off about 1/16" from cut to cut, but before I post specifically about that, I want to do another test to eliminate operator error as a cause of the misalignment.

Needless to say, the ability to see a scale model confirmed the design parameters and the full size template will make it easier to make the actual bed. Neat use of the tool.

8 Likes

There’s the model

33 Likes

Cool to be able to prototype like this.

Oh very cool! :grinning:

Great use of the :glowforge: !

Great work! I’ve been using the glowforge for scale prototyping too, it’s brill!

What a great model! I’d love to see it with a mattress and bedding.

1 Like

Barbie called. Wants to place an order…

8 Likes

Out of likes … But this is so cute!

1 Like