FYI - Shut Down, Turned off, Powered Down - when print button pressed

Hello,

I’m here to report a problem, I started my glow forged up this morning to do a quick print, everything seemed fine, it calibrated, the material showed up fine on the web interface, I uploaded the SVG file, positioned it on the board, selected and copied the cut out, and made 3 duplicates. This left me with 4 cut out of the same piece.

• I set the material height to 0.2 "
  • Trace 1 - Set to Cut out, Speed 170, Full Power
  • Trace 2 - Set to Cut out, Speed 155, Full Power
  • I clicked “print”
  • Scanning material - …
  • Then the device seemed to lose power, (All LEDs went off, and the fan turned off)
  • I confirmed the power switch on the back up in the up position
  • The same socket run the power to the monitor I’m using. This confirmed the socket had power.
  • Then the web interface said (GlowForge offline)

My solution was to turn the power off, and back on.

I know simple, but I felt the need to report this behavior

Right now, I did the same setup and print, and everything seems fine.

2 Likes

My first guess, and it is really very guessy, is that you had a transient power sag (perhaps due to the spike draw from the print starting) and a protection circuit in the Glowforge stepped in and shut it off. Might mean you have extra resistance somewhere (are you using an extension cord or power strip?)

You might also want to note whether your outlet gets hot during use. If so, you’ll want to rewire it and probably replace it.

2 Likes

Reporting it here is the right move, just so the event is documented. In an error report, also the time and time zone is helpful to support so they can easily view the machine logs.

This happened to our unit last night. Wasn’t printing yet, just putting material in.

My wife just texted me to say it just happened again, this time just a moment after she turned it on.

Thanks for letting me know. I’m looking into it and I’ll update the thread when I have more information.

This happened to our unit last night. Wasn’t printing yet, just putting material in.

My wife just texted me to say it just happened again, this time just a moment after she turned it on.

@wbgraphic We try to keep to one topic per post in the Problems and Support section. Can you create a new post with this question?

Thanks for your patience.

I took a look at the data for your unit and everything looks good. I don’t expect you’ll see this again, but if you do, please let me know by posting a new topic or emailing us at support@glowforge.com.

Happy printing!