Gantry jammed/stuck

I got my Glowforge today. I set it up and ran two different cuts. It work perfectly. When I ran it a third time the machine made a strange noise and when I checked it out the laser arm was at an angle. I was able to straighten it up but now it will only slide about halfway back. The gantry seems to be in the rails but the end of the laser tube is possibly hitting a small black plastic piece on the side wall. Or there may be something else blocking it. Is there any way to fix this?

Honestly, I’m not sure what that is???

Let support take a look at it…it might have caused the gantry to jump off tracks.

I’m so sorry you hit a snag. It looks like your WiFi antenna (the black piece connected by two wires) has come lose. The antenna is attached to the side of the case with adhesive. It’s possible for that adhesive to fail, or that the antenna wasn’t fully secured during assembly. This isn’t generally a concern unless, as happened here, it gets caught.

You can move the antenna towards the front of your Glowforge, there should be space to tuck it out of the way in front of the black panel in your photo. Once you do that, we have some instructions for resquaring the laser arm here which should get you back on track.

If that doesn’t resolve things for you, please let us know and we can follow up with next steps. I’ll make sure that the team gets feedback about the problem with the antenna as well.

3 Likes

Thanks for the help! I was able to removed the antenna from the side wall and place it towards the front. Now the machine is working perfectly again.

1 Like

I’m so glad to hear that! Thanks for following up to let us know. If you run into any other trouble, we’ll be happy to help - please start a new topic or email us at support@glowforge.com