Gantry side wheel not engaging

I was cutting a rectangular item yesterday that when I flipped it over did not fit into the space. So I did the suggested method of making the gantry square and it’s almost fixed. Still off a tiny bit but a lot better. However, I am seeing that the right front gantry wheel isn’t sitting directly on the track anymore or spinning when the gantry is moving. I can in fact, spin it on its own with my finger. If I put a little pressure on the gantry when I move it the wheel engages but not always the rest of the time. The other 3 Gantry wheels move as expected. The unit is level front to back and side to side, so I’m not sure what the issue might be. Any ideas?

Pictures of the wheel would be helpful in determining cause for the problem and any advice to be given.

The wheel is not damaged. It’s just not engaging unless there is pressure from the gantry so a photo isn’t useful. I’ll have to take video of me spinning it freely, which wouldn’t really show anything other than that.

I’m so sorry to hear that you’re running into trouble. I’d be more than happy to assist!

In order to narrow down what could be causing the error, I’d like to review some images of your Gantry wheels. When you have a moment, could you post images of all of your gantry wheels, highlighting the one that does not appear to be sitting correctly?

Once we can review these images, we’ll send over the next best steps.

I have a 10 second video of me rolling it but the system keeps saying the file is too big. Here’s a photo of the one wheel. The rest all sit on the rail and don’t spin on their own.

I got the video to upload.

Hi @flossqueencathe,

Thank you for the photo and video. I’d like to have you try re-setting the gantry again following the steps below. If the v-wheel still does not make full contact with the rail, then your Glowforge has unfortunately run into an issue that we won’t be able to solve remotely and it will need to be repaired.

1. Turn off your Glowforge
  2. Try gently sliding the laser arm towards you a bit, perhaps moving one side, then the other. Whether or not that works, continue to the next step.
  3. Placing one hand in front and one in back, gently lift up the laser arm on the right side, near where it’s off the track. Make sure your hands grip the metal bar, not the tube itself.
  4. While lifting upwards, roll the laser arm towards you, then farther away a few times. Your goal is to straighten it out, so that it’s parallel to the front door. It will pop back onto the track where it belongs.
  5. Once it’s on the track, place one hand on each side of the laser arm (left and right now, rather than front and back) and roll it to the center of your Glowforge. Then roll it back about three inches, forward to center and then 3 more inches towards you, and then do that a few more times.
  6. Move the Printer Head to the approximate center of the laser arm.
  7. Turn your Glowforge back on and continue printing.
  8. If you find that your prints are not square after putting the laser arm back on the track, you may need to follow the instructions here to bring your unit back into square.

Please let me know how it goes after trying to reset the gantry, and I’ll follow up with repair information if needed. Thank you!

I’ll do this over and the weekend and let you know what happens.

Since I had to move the rack my GF is on, I decided to re-level the unit from scratch. The right front wheel has always been on the track rail, not off it. It’s just that it is not rolling on it like it should, but more like it’s sitting too proud on the side. Re-leveling has fixed most of that problem and it appears to engage in rolling more often. I did the steps above and while not completely engaging, it’s better. I will cut squares this week to see how much better that part of the issue is.

Hey @flossqueencathe, thank you for the update. I’m glad to hear that the wheel seems to be engaging better now. Definitely let us know how it goes after running your test prints, and we’ll follow up with next steps as needed. Thank you!

It’s been a little while since I’ve seen any replies on this thread so I’m going to close it. If you still need help with this please either start a new thread or email support@glowforge.com.