Generated Mandalas; from basic points on circle to random complex asymmetric patterns

As a landscape with a bit pf color it can be fun;

All my morphing Avatars are variants of this.

2 Likes

Wow, these are so cool. I can see how you could become addicted.

Now with more circles in circles!

1100 examples here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qdg5hs6mvhnqmve/Circledala.zip?dl=0
circledala-l5r12%238
circledala-l11r16%233 circledala-l9r16%239

2 Likes

And here are many more without the large circles.

circledala-no-disc-l10r10%232 circledala-no-disc-l20r17%233 circledala-no-disc-l35r10%233

6 Likes

A few years ago I made a minimally functional graphical editor with a focus on radial symmetry that makes mandala looking creations. It’s a lot of fun to mess around with, but its greatest weakness is that when I wrote it I did not have a laser cutter and did not realize how useful it would be to export the creations to svg. You can view your creations in a separate tab (x key) and save them as a jpg, to make coloring pages. I’ve debated going back and retrofitting it for svg export, but it would take a bit of work, and I just haven’t taken the time (very busy playing with a laser cutter in my spare time these days).
Some example output:
M2

More recently I was playing with the notion of a parametric editor for radially symmetrical layout, and created this little app that can create a bunch of circles in a hurry. This one has layer support as well. I had plans to add more shape and layer types in it but again, got distracted making physical things in my spare time instead of software. For this second model, however, I figured out svg export and built in svg support from the start. There are still a few bugs, but once you get the hang of it you can throw down a seed of life in seconds, which was one of my original design goals. :slight_smile: (protip: use the mouse wheel over the sliders fore more precise control)
somecircles
somemorecircles
https://brucecooner.github.io/circles/circle_layout.html

9 Likes

Thanks @bbum! I’ll have a blast going through these and picking out my favorites.
I’m currently side tracked by making loads of stuff to fill a fairy place for my little nieces, but will get back to this and share with you what I come up with.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.