Getting ready for my first Flag

Betsy Ross flag.
The stripes will be stained separately and cut on the table saw. But the Union will be laser engraved. Here is a very small test of the image that will be in the middle of the 13 stars.

16 Likes

Nice. Basswood? Maple? Seems pretty dark for birch ply, but maybe?

1 Like

I only use basswood for photos. Lots of testing. It gives the largest shading range.

1 Like

That is pretty good dynamic range. I’ve seen some things that go darker (cork, mahogany), but they always seem to have no other setting, it’s black and white. Nice finesse on the settings.

1 Like

I know what you mean. This was a test from a 2.8w laser attachment for my cnc. Different woods had different shading abilities. Now, the co2 Laser can shade way better. I need to do a similar test with the glowforge.

Look at Mahogany and cedar… all just black.

3 Likes

It’s so tricky, because speed and lpi can affect it so much. You can drive yourself nuts trying every permutation on engrave settings, it’s really a deep topic. You seem to have hit the balance pretty well on basswood with your image prep and settings, so… golf clap!

3 Likes

I was fully expecting something on here that would catch the ire of someone or that was inappropriate. Not saying I’m disappointed…just sayin’ :wink:

6 Likes