GF Basic's quality better than GF Plus

I engrave acrylic pieces on my GFs, Basic and Plus. Both are workhorses and have been very satisfied with the quality. However, I have to use different settings for both for the same material. Every time, my GF Basic engraves better than the GF Plus. If I use the same settings, completely different results.

These circled acrylic pieces fit in a precut notch on my GF boards and are leveled with the board. I choose a custom focal point and do not use the default.

Were there supposed to be pictures to support your post?

1 Like

Thank you for reaching out to our team about this and I’ll be happy to look into your print results with you. Unfortunately it looks like the photos didn’t come through, could you please try re-sharing them?

I noticed you mention that you use a manual focus height. Do you see the same inconsistency in your print results when you instead use an automatic focus height?

Something that would help our team to look into this would be to run a quick, standard test print on both units and then share photos with us of the results.

Here are the steps for the test:

1. Turn off your Glowforge.
  2. Check for small pieces of debris or dust.
    • Check the lower door to make sure it closes all the way. It may require some force to open, but open it, wipe any dust off the edges, and close it all the way.
    • Remove the tray and clean any dust or debris from the surface underneath. Pay careful attention to remove all debris from the four dimples where the tray rests.

• Check the lid to make sure it closes all the way. Small particles of material, such as dust or debris, can prevent it from closing completely.

3. Check the surface your Glowforge is on to make sure it’s flat. Ensure it is not twisted slightly and that there is no debris propping up one side of the machine.
  4. Turn your Glowforge back on.
  5. Place Proofgrade material in the part of the of the bed that you are having the most trouble and print the Gift of Good Measure using the default settings.
  6. When the print finishes, leave the lid closed and wait until the fans stop and the picture updates.
  7. After the picture updates, please open the lid, remove the completed print and take photos of the front and back of the completed print

Please let me know if you have any questions for me when setting up this test!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.