GF image glitch mid session, no explanation

Beyond frustrated with this one. GF, I hope I’m overlooking something here.

I was testing different engrave settings, was working down on the left column until the space with the square came up. I was testing different powers at 900 speed and then I changed the speed to 850 and the faint engraving you see is what I got.

Spent 3+ hours troubleshooting various things to no conclusion. I can work around it, but if I’m running jobs or having someone run jobs for me I can’t have unexplainable glitches interrupt the day and require figuring out unnecessary walk arounds.

Thoughts and input please??

Check to make sure your power didn’t revert to “1” when you changed the speed.

Yes. I troubleshot this for 3+ hours. I was also using a saved manual setting with power at 45 which is the top print in the left column, so even if it did revert it wouldn’t be to 1. Power of 1 also wouldn’t show up at all on this Anodized Aluminum.

Tried everything imaginable to shed light on a cause.
Triple checked everything before doing and double checked afterwards every time to confirm no user error.

Settings were accurate every time. I also successfully recreated the glitch on command just by changing the ‘X’ position back and forth.

I considered maybe it was MY file somehow, thinking it possibly got corrupted. But since I could change position and it worked, the file as fine. I also printed this 20+ times beforehand, I started at the top of the middle column to the bottom, then started the left column and after those 5 prints it started doing this.

I’m so sorry to hear that you’re running into trouble. I’ve extracted the log files from your Glowforge to review this particular print. Since this problem is being seen on materials that were purchased from another company, we can’t offer support for prints that don’t come out as expected. Materials may vary widely from piece to piece, even if they’re created by the same manufacturer. I suggest posting for advice in the Beyond the Manual section of our community. Note that advice in this section is unsupported and is not reviewed by Glowforge.

Should this happen with a print on Proofgrade materials, please let us know and we’ll help you right away!

I looked into this briefly, and I did notice that you were running a series of test prints. The autofocuser failed in one print. My best guess is the red laser might not have landed on the material where you intended, and that affected the focus value, which in-turn affected the print result.

Try using set focus before prints, and keep an eye where the red laser dot lands. If it misses material, or lands on the edge of some material, just run another set focus until the red laser is landing where you’re planning on printing.

I’m going to close this thread - if the problem reoccurs, go ahead and post a new topic. Thanks for letting us know about this!

1 Like