GF makes the Unthinkable Possible

Made a bunch of random items over the past couple of weekends, some for gifts, some for around the house, some for charity, and some for fun. In thinking about these items, it really hit me that if I did not have a Glowforge, I would not even imagine, much less attempt many of these items.

Paper and rocks and wood and plastic and glass and ceramic, etc, etc. FORGE all things. Here’s a small sampling.

I have made several of these scripture sayings for ourselves and for friends. It’s always a challenge to lay it all out so the letters are interconnected. To ensure the cuts go all the way through, I slow down the speed by 15 or so from what PG “requires”, but some parts of the cut still occasionally come up slightly short. An exacto knife finishes the job.

I also made one for the local church using the maximum GF cutting area. The first attempt was a fail because I stacked magnets 3 high and the galley hit them, causing parts of the cut to be askew. So I cut out some of the hold down pins and used them instead of magnets. Much better.

This is the best photo laser tile image I have been able to engrave so far. The receivers were delighted.

The eagle’s outstretched wings spread over almost the maximum GF cutting area. Weeding was a pain. This is on the wall over my son’s crib.

Cut out Chinese characters inset in an engraved base. The characters represent the Chinese names of our twins. Ja Anne (Jazelle LeeAnne) and Ja Dian (Jayden). FYI, the second syllable of their names when taken together (Anne Dian) means “grace”.
20180304_071741

The butterfly also consumed much of a full piece of PG. The colored pieces were all cut out, laid down down in the same pattern (after masking removed), and tben carefully painted creating a gradient effect. They were then re-inserted in the black butterfly structure and glued in place. The little ovals are different sizes and since I did not carefully keep them in the same orientation after removing them in the original GF cut, it was a challenge matching the pink cutouts with the right holes. This will be put on the wall over my daughter’s crib.
20180303_230747

Another picture frame, this one for my wife.
20180304_074155

My own escutcheon for Thor.

Etched glass bottles for my wife’s special dressing.
20180304_120549

Multi-layered, two material wall art. Two layers of cherry and one of maple.
20180304_133726

Proof of concept paper cut napkin ring.
20180304_143756

44 Likes

Wow, those are such gorgeous heartfelt projects. (And you’re really great with the word art - that is tough to pull off.) :grinning:

4 Likes

This is the first one I created, on PG walnut.

15 Likes

I love how you vary the sizes, it makes it so much more visually appealing. :grinning:

3 Likes

Also doubles as a pretty sweet snitch :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Really awesome job on all of them!

1 Like

Love the story behind your twins’ names. The ability to engrave their names on stuff is a big help, trust me (I have twins of my own)!

2 Likes

Do you mind sharing the settings for the photo engrave you did on the glass tile?

That is a special laser ceramic tile. They have some sort of coating that turns black when hit with the right amount of laser light. I can look up the settings for you, but if you don’t have a laser tile, the settings won’t work.

Great projects! Love the variety of work . :heart:

I would appreciate it. Where did you find laser tile?

I just checked and the place I purchased them a few years ago has since closed their website (lasertile.com). You might Google to find photo sensitive laser tiles from another alternative

1 Like

I just looked, too. I was using them quite often a few years back and still even have several left. Their ordering and shipping left a lot to be desired, but the tiles are amazing. Too bad.

1 Like

These are all just beautiful!