GF now checks for flipped bitmaps

I just downloaded and tried to print a file generate a warning when i tried to print it that was fantastic - they checked for a flipped bitmap an linked to https://glowforge.com/support/topic/troubleshooting/file-wont-print#design-includes-a-flipped-bitmap which explains the issue and what to do about it.

Nicely done, Glowforge!

19 Likes

Nice! Not only an accurate warning message but a link to a solution?

7 Likes

Imagine how ecstatic the forums will be when they actually fix a bug, instead of just alerting you to it with a link to a workaround!!!

7 Likes

I’m pretty ecstatic now. It’s all I need to go fix my file. :smile:

2 Likes

I thought the Glowforge was supposed to do the heavy lifting for us.

2 Likes

It does. To an almost ridiculous degree. :smile:

I wish you guys could have worked with some of the early software I’ve worked with. You would quit complaining about this and start kissing Glowforge’s toes.

Okay…maybe that last bit was a bit of a stretch…

3 Likes

I would have loved the opportunity to know what it was like.

Bug fixes and new features have lagged. Now that they are shipping I would have expected an uptick in features and bug squashes.

2 Likes

Doesn’t work that way. It’s because they are shipping that there are more bugs discovered on a daily basis, and squashes are ongoing behind the scenes all the time. The critical ones will get first priority, and they are more likely to be the ones that will take the longest to resolve. While that happens, features and minor bug squashes tend to get shuffled back.

And we just got a pretty major feature upgrade with the Autosave. So they’re still ongoing.

In the meantime, we just need to work around it. In a couple of years, it’s not going to matter.

1 Like

This is a start. Warning people that they’re likely to encounter weirdness is good. Better would be to fix the weirdness. Rotating and flipping bitmaps is not difficult and any off-the-shelf image library can do it.

4 Likes

Given that the workaround is incredibly easy (just ‘rasterize’ the bitmap) this warning is effective. Sure, it’d be nice if they enhanced their processor to handle SVG transforms of bitmaps, but that’s more complex, so I’m happy they implemented the warning first.

If it makes people feel better, every toolchain for every manufacturing device has weird limitations and quirks. Over time the community finds workarounds, or the bugs/limitations get addressed. You wouldn’t believe what gymnastics the print world goes through to produce magazines and newspapers!

3 Likes

Only good if you are rotating a centered uniform image on a uniform shape. Doesn’t work when you have a non-uniform cutline around an image.

I’m working on one right now that if they flipped my image for me, it would ruin the cut. No bueno.

Besides, if they ever do figure out how to program it, what the heck do they need us for? :smile:

That’s not what’s going on. Let me try to explain.

Imagine you’re loading in a bitmap X into Illustrator, and in Illustrator you flip the image around, producing a new bitmap, let’s call it Y.

In the exported SVG, you get a transform command wrapped around the original bitmap X. When the GF processor reads the SVG, it loads the bitmap and should execute the transform in the command in the file and produce the transformed bitmap Y, then that’s what should get sent to the laser. But GF’s SVG reader doesn’t know how to execute bitmap transformations, so you get the warning.

If you ‘rasterize’ the transformed bitmap in Illustrator, it performs the transformation in Illustrator, then writes out the transformed bitmap Y. So when you export an SVG, you get an SVG file with no transform command, just the bitmap Y embedded. So the GF’s SVG reader loads the bitmap and sends it to the laser, and you get the right thing printed.

Does this make sense?

7 Likes

Oh right. Duh! :roll_eyes:

(This is what can happen when your focus gets split folks. Do not try this at home.)

1 Like

Oooooo… No thanks. Not a toe guy. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Is there a step in Illustrator to tell it to rasterize the flipped image? Is it in the save options dialogue?

Object > Rasterize.

4 Likes

I thought a bitmap is a raster image… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

3 Likes

It is. You are basically re-rasterizing it. So rather than any kind of transform code saying rotate X degrees, it’s remapping the pixels to that specific orientation.

3 Likes

Thank you. I thought for a minute I had a massive hole in my understanding. Just a little hole.
You are just removing that wrap on the SVG.

1 Like

It is. But the Glowforge software gets very unhappy if it runs across a bitmap that has been rotated (or flipped, etc.) … Re-rasterizing it creates a brand new bitmap (with a transformation matrix that’s equal to the identity matrix, which makes the GF happy) and renders the rotated/flipped bitmap into that new bitmap.

4 Likes