GF,UK Broken Machines, Warranty, Duty Refunds and stuff

My first GF arrived with smashed lid. GF promptly agreed to replace then went silent for a week. UPS tried to deliver it today, but had no notice of shipping from GF or tracking number. Note for GF - when you issue a replacement - please let us know!!

If it had been delivered to day it would have been 11 days since the first broken arrival.

Anyway, you have to pay duty all over again, GF are paying for shipping.
In order to recover the duty you previously paid you need to make a claim to HMRC using this form:

Overview can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/refunds-and-waivers-on-customs-debt

Note, HMRC require proof that you’ve returned / rejected the item, so I guess everything from confirmation from GF , shipping notice etc.

When I actually submit, I’ll update this with info about what happens next. In general HMRC are pretty prompt at refunding things, but I have no experience with this type of refund.

6 Likes

oh no!! Gutted for you but following along whilst still hoping i’ll not need the info here!

I think GF should have indicated it was a warranty replacement on the customs forms. Then you wouldn’t have to claim it back.

2 Likes

Worse than that, UPS have had a brainstorm and calculated the duty as £920!!

I wonder if GF have marked the price as current, rather than the launch price. . .

1 Like

If this happens to me I’ll be shafted… hope you manage to sort it out quickly and with little effort.

(I was typing this as you posted on my question…)

Similar situation here. UPS want £1500 for my warranty replacement Pro model! Being Easter is a pain with all the bank holidays!

Its due on Tuesday so I’m ringing UPS on Tuesday at 8 to tell them its a warranty replacement and to redo the charges hopefully before it arrives!

If I get anywhere I’ll let you know.

Thank you for letting us know about this! We’ve received your email regarding these issues and we’re working on it there, so I’m going to close this topic.