GF Withdrawals šŸ¤’

yep just a newbie to the GF I have used lasers in the past but not a personal oneā€¦

1 Like

Yes, I thought about it. I need to cut a couple pieces of cherry veneer and engrave one full sign and on one sign add a custom name. Totally missed the custom name because I forgot to turn text into paths.

Since these parts also are waiting for some translucent PLA for the basesā€“I rang out of green and need to print a few more bluesā€“I wouldnā€™t be able to deliver them anyway until I get the filament.

1 Like

That happened to me last night. Restarted the GF and it came back.

Itā€™s a great time to work on learning tools such as Fusion 360 or creating new designs

2 Likes

Gotta remember, nobody posts about NOT having to send their units back. It feels like a lot because weā€™re seeing all the problem reports ā€“ but itā€™s actually a pretty small percentage of the number of units actually out there!

5 Likes

overall it is a very small percentage and my issues was not all that bad. It still worked great just a minor inconvenience having to select the material.

Well, holler if you change your mind! You could even do the jobs remotely. Iā€™ve probably got all the materials but youā€™d most likely have your replacement machine before I could mail things to you.

While I was waiting during the wait that kept getting moved from November to February I sat down and made many of the designs I was thinking about, while teaching myself Inkscape in the process.

You might not be able to cut your designs at this time, But if your computer still works, you should be able to do the first part of your ideas same as always.

1 Like

Yea, thatā€™s what iā€™m doing plus learning Fusion 360 and the intricacies of the other programs i use.

1 Like

Yeah, while I know that rationally, having a 6-month warranty is causing me a bit of angst and this thread hasnā€™t helped. :wink:

What I also know rationally is that I could send my GF back (possibly twice) for repair for the difference in price to a Plus.

2 Likes

If I had this do all over again I would have ordered the Plus or Proā€¦

Iā€™m not convinced that Plus is worth it, but if I had the $, Iā€™d have gotten the Pro. But itā€™s mostly a hobby machine for me right now, and thatā€™s a HUGE cost for a hobby.

2 Likes

I did wish I had known about it before hand but did not have the cash or stability of even knowing where I would land, but it was the pass through that made the difference that I made the leap ā€œin for a dime in for a dollarā€ I would be hating that I did not have that.

1 Like

Mine is for my part time side business and itā€™s already paid half the cost. I wish they had a program where they would take one back give a credit for the purchase of an upgradeā€¦

1 Like

You could sell the one you have once it is operating correctly and use that to help fund the new one. I have seen several folk selling their pro here over time as well.

1 Like

My philosophy is that if I start earning money, it wonā€™t take long to pay off a Basic and then I can either sell it or get a second (Pro). Once I know Iā€™m making money, itā€™s easier to justify the bigger cost. In the meantime, I donā€™t feel pressured to use it as a business. I can just have fun. I will likely miss the passthrough at some point, but I will have to be creative. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Other than printing on larger material i donā€™t see the advantage to justify the added cost. I think i will probably just purchase the Plus when I retire and go full time in my own businessā€¦

A better way than what I am doing, I have always done better at making than selling. It has made it possible for me to use 4ā€™x8ā€™ sheets cut into 5 - 19"x 48" sheets and lower prices as a result, not thousands of dollars less, but that and the ability to nest parts better has been a big thing for me.

3 Likes

I have started buying in big sheets and cutting them down as well. The place I buy from will cut for $1.50 a cut, so I do part of the cut there and the rest myself (or at my makerspace). So much less expensive to do it that way, although I like the PG is pre-finished.

I get it, i but 4x8 sheets and cut them down but most of my stuff is small enough that a pro and the pass through is just not enough to just the added cost and the pass through is just a piece that can go down and cause issuesā€¦ I just wish there were more user serviceable parts, like the exhaust fan, a way to attach an external cooler, etcā€¦

1 Like