[SOLVED!] GFUI color order?

I’ve run into something that seems a little odd, and I might be doing something wrong. I’ve had no problem using color to group things setting-wise, but the order the GFUI chooses to put the colors in is a little confusing. I first noticed with with an SVG that looked like this -
colortest

The GFUI consistently flips blue and purple (in terms of step order on the left side). Since everything else was in the order I expected, I figured maybe the blue was too pale or the purple wasn’t purple-y enough.

So then I tried this -

And the GFUI ordered them yellow - red - orange - light grey - etc at seemingly-random. That’s neither a color ordering system I can figure out or the order that I assigned them colors or the order I created the squares in or from light to dark or from left to right or from top to bottom.

So… what system does the GFUI use to determine what order things will appear in on the left side? I know it’s not totally random, because it repeats the same exact same order every time. I’m probably missing something obvious but I just can’t figure it out.

4 Likes

Operation order is determined by the hexadecimal coding of colors. If you are not a programmer it can get confusing but for simplicity, try this.

11 Likes

Holy crap, thank you! Literally every program I use has the hexadecimal coding, but I’m like noseblind to it. Thanks so much for your help. I was going nuts trying to figure out what I was doing wrong :slight_smile:

1 Like

The base it is expressed in doesn’t matter, it is numerical order when encoded RGB.

A simple way to think about it is the colour with the lowest red content comes first, if colours have equal red content then the one with least green comes first, if green is equal then compare blue.

8 Likes