GFUI uses color for layers and selection. Accessible for colorblind?

Using color for layers in your svg - have any users who have difficulty seeing color had issues?

I have found the GFUI selection of the layers (or colors actually) in my SVG as the magenta and teal a bit difficult to discern at times.

Has anyone done a UI / Universal Design / Accessibility review to make sure these are the best colors to use?

5 Likes

colorblind here and it’s really hard for me too.

good UX practice says “don’t use colors that 5-10 percent of the world can’t distinguish apart”…

2 Likes

The currently selected item should use a crawl effect or something like that, to make it super obvious without relying on color.

1 Like

Even those of us who see color have difficulty with the grey shaded non printing entities.

2 Likes

I have a moderate red/green deficiency. I don’t have any problems with Inkscape. I just use high contrast colors and layers to keep everything straight. Also, I can always use the eye dropper tool as a crutch if need be. I may not be able to see the difference between some colors, but I can read RGBA hex codes just fine.

The colors used in the GFUI are luckily outside of my confusion zones, but I do find the lack of value separation bothersome. It reminds me of when Solidworks switched over from color icons to icons that were all just shades of blue and gray.

1 Like

Thanks for asking this question. I’m colorblind too and have been wondering about this.