Gift Card Holder Ornament - Snap together version

Already designing one! LOL Should have it done over the weekend. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The card holder is not locked in, right? If this were attached to a tree using the hole in the slider, wouldn’t the outer box just slide off?

1 Like

The outerbox won’t slide out. Pressure keeps it in place. I have tested about 6 of them and they all stayed until you pull them apart. There is a glued version as well. Same image just fewer pieces.

1 Like

Interesting. I’ve made 2 so far (dog ate one, then the wife said there was a birthday party later today, so go remake it), and both of them did not have enough friction to keep the outer box held to the slider. Could just be tolerances on the draft board, and mine is on the thinner end. Either way, this is not a complaint. This design is awesome.

1 Like

Thank you! I am sorry you are having a hard time with it. If you put a drop of glue on the cross braces where the peg meets the back it should tighten it up a little I think.

1 Like

OK, PEBCAK.

I believe the issue is a scaling problem. Somewhere in my editing of the PDF to get the scoring, I increased the size by 10%. Strange value, since it is not the common 90/96 issue.

I downloaded a fresh version of the pdf, and it is clearly smaller:
26%20PM

My cutout measures 60x95, and a gift card is about 54x85, so there is about a 10% margin. Here is what a gift card looks like in the slider:

So that would explain why my version is too loose. Apologies. Now to figure out where that 10% came in.

2 Likes

Very strange! I did leave a little extra width in the box cause some gift cards are bigger than a standard credit card. But not sure why that is happening. Sorry. This is one of the ones I did.

11 Likes

Another wonderful design you’ve shared with everyone. Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

The larger size was somewhere on my end (maybe Inkscape beta?). I started over with a fresh download and everything came out fine: the size, and the friction fit.

One item of note: the long legs are not symmetrical. There is an orientation where they nicely meet the short leg, and this was my final orientation. If they are both flipped, the slider sticks up beyond the bow, and if only one long leg is correct, the slider wants to cock to the side.

1 Like

Yes they are not symmetrical. Unfortunately in order to get the cross brace to be center and to cover the holes I had to shorten the side pieces on one end. It’s slight and it is confusing sorry about that.

2 Likes

Dude, these are AWESOME and are you Canadian? You apologize too much for all you give & share. You rock. Thanks so much!

3 Likes

Lol. Thanks!

Not Canadian just want everyone to have a great experience when they use one of my files. Lol

2 Likes

I made this to put my granddaughter’s gift card in. It is absolutely adorable! I love it!

3 Likes

So glad you like it! Welcome to the community!!!

1 Like

I made this to put my granddaughter’s Amazon gift card into before shipping their prezzies out to Colorado. It is SO cute, and was very easy to assemble! Thank you, SO very much. I was not looking forward to the “same old same old” gift card holders from the store. I engraved her name on it, too!

Edit: I’m sorry, I just saw that I thanked you before… sorry for duplication, I just wanted to make certain that I thanks those who I used their free items in the past week.

7 Likes

LOL. That is great! I am glad that you were able to make it special for your grand daughter!

2 Likes

Hi,
I think I’m doing this wrong. I download the PDF and when I put it into the glowforge app the bow is only able to be engraved. I can’t score it. Is this how its supposed to be?
It’s a lovely design. I just want to make sure I’m loading it correctly.

Thank you,
Nick

1 Like

Yes that is how it is supposed to be. I did load the bow as vector in one of the replies on the glued version of this if you want to score it. Gift Card Holder - Glued Version
And thanks for downloading it!

1 Like

thank you such a great idea!

1 Like