Gift maps, Dice Box, Luggage Tags, Father's Day test

Grandchildren needed luggage tags for a trip to Disney. (Removed the address and phone number).

Daughter-in-law asked if I could engrave a hammer. Grabbed my husband’s for the test. A little deep. Oops! My first really thick item.

Made this dicebox in Draftboard previously for my son-in-law to make sure it was what he wanted. Upgrade to Proofgrade Walnut Plywood … he loved it!

Daughter-in-law’s cousin getting married Saturday. The couple met at college. This is part of their wedding gift.

My daughter-in-law wanted to gift her father with a map of his area. @jbmanning5 … thank you again for the keyhole hanger! Looks crooked in the photo … but, it’s straight! Used this on both maps.

45 Likes

Nice work! :sunglasses:
(He won’t be able to deny there is a better grip on that hammer)

4 Likes

That is for sure! Of course … that’s where I grip it!

1 Like

You’ve been sitting on all your cool projects! :smile:
(Might have to borrow that “It’s Hammer Time!” for my hammers…then I’ll be able to easily separate them out from my DH’s tool box when I need them.)

2 Likes

I lightly score the underlying piece with the shape of the underlying keyhole piece. Makes it easy to line up.

2 Likes

Stunning work, especially the maps!

2 Likes

Can you give a little insight into the process for the maps? From a PNG? HD Engraves? Are the maps cherry ply?

1 Like

I barely squeeze in a project here and there. Last night I realized I hadn’t posted some. I like the hammer … mine doesn’t have a wood handle … or I would done it on there.

That is an awesome idea. Not to mention might be nice to do a light engrave to make glue time easier. It’s harder to sand when it’s not at the edge.

1 Like

When posting them all at once, you tend to skip those details.

I used My Google Maps. https://www.google.com/maps/about/mymaps/
You type in the address and then if you don’t want the little pointer you can turn it off on the left side. Zoom in or out … when you click on the three dots at the right, you can choose print. This gives you a much better quality print than a screen clip.

You can choose the paper size, portrait or landscape, and then either pdf or image. It gives you a jpg. I pulled it into other software to crop the exact clip I wanted.

Think I could have used SD on this quality of map. I used HD proofgrade … and then switched it to manual for 600 / Full / 340 lpi.

Oh … and it was on Proofgrade Medium Maple Plywood.

5 Likes

Cool that you followed through with the font on the luggage tags too!

A great array of projects, you’ve been busy :slight_smile:

1 Like

Gosh, what a great bunch of projects! I like that you used the Disney font on the Disney items (I’ve got that one too).

1 Like

Man, that dice box is incredible! What a great choice for an image!
The hammer’s hilarious. I’m going to have to do that. But I’ll use… the best Captain Hammer quote. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sorry on more detail - did you use trace in the GFUI or did you trace the jpeg/pdf in inkscape? Thanks for the other details!

Actually, I cropped the jpg to the size I wanted in my photo software.

Created a score box to go around it in my Silhouette Designer software (use Inkscape, Illustrator, whatever). Then also added the text and a outer cut to my svg.

Load your svg file into the GFUI … and bring in the jpeg to fill the score box. You can zoom in to check.

2 Likes

It matches a table cover I made for my son-in-law and daughter a few years ago. Turned the embroidery design into a picture for engraving. Knew he liked that particular dragon!

3 Likes

Did you find it difficult to modify the embroidery pattern for use in the Glowie? (Never tried using an embroidery machine, but I hear they are “expert level” devices.)

Actually, in the software you can right click and choose to make it a photo. So, I didn’t really do anything. My favorite way to work something out!

1 Like

Chuckle! Even I could handle that! :smile:
(Bet that software ain’t cheap though.)

1 Like

My last update on software was only $900 (last time I’m updating … they just can’t make it do anything more!) I’ve paid $2300, as the highest. This is my 7th and final version. I did get one version free when I gave them $11K for a new machine.

Also, bought the design that I did the dragon with. So, within the computer folder, you can right click to get the software shortcut to convert to a photo. I’ve only used this to send people a photo to show them something. Until this time.

Embroidery is a very expensive hobby. I should do it even more than Glowforging … because I have everything. Everything but time. LOL

3 Likes