Gift of Good Measure not cutting through

I was trying to engrave some 20lbs paper and it did not leave a mark on paper, but the vector did. It was two days ago around 8:30pm EST.

This evening I tried to cut out the GoGM and it did engrave but did not fully cut out.

back of draftboard

front of draftboard

lens

1 Like

That bites :frowning: They’re gonna want photos of the mirrors as well.

Hi @bwente I’m sorry to hear you ran into some print trouble, and noticed that our Gift of Good Measure test print did not cut through using Proofgrade material with Proofgrade settings. I’ll be happy to help troubleshoot this with you.

I appreciate you including the photos of the print and bottom of the Print Head from your Glowforge. To help us better isolate any potential causes of the print trouble, could you send us photos the following?

• Both windows
    • The printer head window, on the left hand side of the printer head
    • The laser window on the inside left of the Glowforge
  • The printer head lens removed -
    • Both sides of the lens, top and bottom
  • The mirror inside the printer head

Once I have those pictures, I’ll follow up with next best steps. Thank you!

Thanks Brandon!

Hi @bwente! Thank you for getting back with the requested photos. I apologize for the delay wanted to check and let you know I haven’t forgotten about. I’m still working on reviewing everything, and will follow up with you in the morning. Thank you!

Hi @bwente. I appreciate all of your patience and I was able to review the returned photos. Based on the returned photos, there were a couple spots that may need another wipe-down with special attention to highlighted areas in the photos below:

The Printer Head Lens (may be the reflection, but noticed some similar spots in the other other photo of the same part as well:

Specks showing on the Print Mirror:

If another cleaning with a Zeiss wipe does not help, let me know and we can work on any replacements that are needed.

Afterwards, can you try another Gift of Good Measure print to help me gather extra data to decide any next best steps?

I appreciate your patience once again and will look forward to the reply.

I will try that out tonight. Btw did you get any of the additional information I provided by email?

Hi again @bwente. I saw your other forum post, but wasn’t able to locate any additional email outside of this other forum thread. Please let me know if you sent it using any other email address, and if it was sent to any other address than support@glowforge.com.

For the other forum post, I have factored that into troubleshooting your current print trouble, and can follow up once we can get this cut issue fixed. I apologize for any confusion this may cause and will look forward to the results of the test print after trying another cleaning of the spots mentioned in my last post. Thank you!

@Brandon.B My mail to support was in reference to the other forum post with links.

I cleaned the optics and double checked the crumbtray. Still the same results. I used my calipers to measure the proofgrade draftboard. It was .140 inches, I tried another piece of draftboard that is .134 inches and it cut through most of the holes in the gift of good measure.

Does autofocus compensate for variances in proofgrade?

Hi again @bwente ! Thanks for trying the second cleaning of the optical parts mentioned. Proofgrade settings (including the autofocuser) will compensate for any slight variances in Proofgrade material. Based on the caliper measurements, the difference shouldn’t result in any wide inconsistency with print results on the same type of material with the same settings, and i’d like to continue with some further troubleshooting.

I extracted the log files from your Glowforge to check the recent Gift of Good Measure attempt versus the original print that was posted. Unfortunately I was not able to locate the recent Gift of Good Measure in recent print activity.

Could you let me know the date and approximate time of the most recent Gift of Good Measure print, along with any front and back of the results? That will help me decide on the next best troubleshooting steps.

Also, thank you for confirming that the other message was with the forum posts with links. I’d like to address anything preventing your Glowforge from printing as expected on the Proofgrade material with Proofgrade settings, and revisit any other print trouble once that is able to be sorted out. I really appreciate your patience working with me and providing everything to help us get this resolved.

The second attempt (first after cleaning)

Was on 2/11/2021 at 7:06 PM EST

Here is the screenshot from the last (third) attempt. 2/11/21 7:14 PM EST

Using the second piece of proofgrade.

Thank you for working through the instructions my colleague Brandon provided, and for sending over these details.

In the most recent photos, it does look like the material is cutting through in most areas, but some of the inner circles are experiencing trouble.

I’ve reviewed the result of the test print you sent. I have good news, we have a new tool that remotely adjusts the factory tuning of your unit. This change may affect your Glowforge unit’s custom print settings. Because of this, I wanted to check in with you before I made this change.

Here’s how it would work:

• I’ll make a change to your configuration to test a new setting, and let you know when it’s been applied.
  • You’ll print a Gift of Good Measure to test, along with anything else you’d like to test
  • You’ll send me photos of the front and back of the prints.
  • We’ll determine our next steps from there.
  • We can try a couple of different settings to see if we can improve your Glowforge unit’s performance.

Please let me know when you are ready for me to apply the change and if you have any questions.

Sounds great. Let’s do it.

Hi @bwente . Thank you for letting us know you would like to proceed. I’ve gone ahead made a small change to your Glowforge unit’s configuration.

What changed

Your printer is moving too fast to cut through correctly. I adjusted it to fix that.

What About Settings

Your Proofgrade settings should now work. If not, we can make an additional adjustment.

Please Note: You should be cautious with any custom settings - this might have fixed them, or you might now need to speed them up a little. In either case, be sure to test any custom settings carefully the first time you use them.

Next steps

Your Glowforge is ready for the next print.

The best way for us to tell if your Glowforge needs another adjustment is to print the Gift of Good measure with the default Proofgrade settings on the same piece of material. This will help us to compare the results to the previous test print.

Please send me photos of the front and back of the print. They’ll determine our next steps.

Interesting!

The keychain came out with a slight push, as well as the keyring hole and the 1/8in and 5mm circles, the other circles did not cut completely. This was on the right side of the machine.

This was the .134 inch proofgrade.

Here is the .140 inch proofgrade

Hi @bwente - this certainly looks like we’ve made some progress! If you’re alright with it, we can try tweaking things just a bit further to see if that gets us all the way across the finish line, so to speak.

Please let me know if you’d like to move forward with that!

Tweak away! It is great seeing progress.

Yes. Please move forward.

Hello @bwente - I’ve gone ahead and made another adjustment. Please give that same test print from before another try and lets see where we landed!