Gingerbread Clock... Mostly finished

It took me quite a while to deconstruct my 150 year old parts clock… Figure out how to update it a bit… make pieces I couldn’t just buy… But now I have a nice set of illustrator files to make more so it shouldn’t take me 4 weeks to finish the next one. :slight_smile:

This one actually still needs the hinges on the door… And some touchup in spots. But at least for today… It’s finished.

36 Likes

Sweet! :cake:

What parts did you end up making? Did you engrave the glass in the door? That looks a little to precise to be 150 yo :slight_smile:

1 Like

Every bit of wood is laser cut except for the molding that’s glued and nailed to a laser cut box for the base. The “glass” is actually my last piece of proof-grade acrylic. All wood is glued and where needed, 5/8" brads.

I 3D printed the bezel. I designed the clock face in photoshop. And the movement is purchased off of amazon. Other than that… All glowforge. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Wow. Even more impressive.

I figured the clock face was the one thing you didn’t touch. :smiley:

The original face was glued to a metal plate which the bezel was an integral part of. I tried finding something to use but eventually just decided to design the bezel in fusion 360… 3D print that. Then printed the face I designed to look antique and distressed on 100# bristol board on my Epson P600 9-color printer and glued it directly to the birch ply that I cut everything from (aside from a few pieces of 1/4" MDF for certain pieces). Used gorilla glue to affix the bezel in the same way. Directly to the birch.

Everything got a black cherry stain. Nothing was sanded or finished in any way really. I wanted it to have that antique look to it. I even thought about beating on it a little bit to make the wood distressed as well, but decided against it. :slight_smile:

Original Ansonia clock face

7 Likes

Pretty! :grinning:

3 Likes

Really nice! I love a good clock!

3 Likes

Wow. That really turned out great!

3 Likes

So much detailed work - great result!

3 Likes

NICE! Looks awesome

3 Likes

Looks wonderful! I’m sure you’re enjoying the process!

2 Likes

This clock is really outstanding! Clearly a labor of love. I really like the job you did on that face.

Now I’m wondering how on earth you did the curvy bottom molding on your Glowforge?

2 Likes

That… is the only woodwork not done on the GF. Standard off-the-shelf pine molding from Menards. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Is ironic that the 3D printer is the stand for the antique clock? :thinking:

Seriously though, fantastic use of new tools to create a functioning work of art!!!

2 Likes

Nothing wrong with that!

2 Likes

Haha. I thought about that after I took it. But it was the only flat spot I had on my desk big enough to put it. :smiley:

2 Likes

LOL! I live in that same world!!! Never can find a empty spot… To many projects… not enough time or space!

2 Likes