The original face was glued to a metal plate which the bezel was an integral part of. I tried finding something to use but eventually just decided to design the bezel in fusion 360… 3D print that. Then printed the face I designed to look antique and distressed on 100# bristol board on my Epson P600 9-color printer and glued it directly to the birch ply that I cut everything from (aside from a few pieces of 1/4" MDF for certain pieces). Used gorilla glue to affix the bezel in the same way. Directly to the birch.
Everything got a black cherry stain. Nothing was sanded or finished in any way really. I wanted it to have that antique look to it. I even thought about beating on it a little bit to make the wood distressed as well, but decided against it.
Original Ansonia clock face