Glass lid coming apart

I purchased a pro second hand from a member of Glowforge. It appears that the back of the lid (glass) is separating from the back of the lid. Very poor design. It is not shutting properly causing a problem. I also, own a Plus. Now, was wondering if this is something that Glowforge will still honor & replace. Or will the original owner have to do this.

Kelly

If by “member of Glowforge”…you are meaning a forum member? The issue you describe with the glass lid coming loose is fairly uncommon, but it has happened. If you do a search here on the forum for that topic, you will find many posts including some on how to re-glue it. If either of those two machines are still under warranty, they will absolutely be honored for replacement…otherwise, I think the usual suggestion is to try repairing it yourself. Since you purchased it and it now belongs to you, there is no responsibility left for the previous owner.

I would think that was also contributing to the lid not shutting correctly, too. Get the lid problem dealt with first, then see about the second issue.

4 Likes

This happen to me & I found a You Tube video showing how to repair with a 5 minute epoxy. The only problem is the epoxy will not last very long. There is a man on eBay that has a bracket you can buy & this will last basically as long as you have your Glowforge. He charges $149.00. I also bought the bracket but the second time I used epoxy it is still holding. I will install the bracket when the 2nd time epoxy fails. Hopefully I can get through the Christmas Rush.

5 Likes

Thank you for your response. Do you have this man’s name or his business name.
Kelly

1 Like

There is no need for any special bracket. The stock hinge works just fine when properly secured. The handful of failures are due to lack of adhesive, nothing more.

3 Likes

If I heard, correctly the stock hinges need to be secured properly & adhesive. Do you suggest a good adhesive & how to properly secure the glass lid. I just looking for a way to make my lid usable.
Kelly

I recommend two things, read up on the search here for that problem, and my personal favorite adhesive - PC-7.

I also recommend scratching the glass with some sandpaper to increase surface adhesion.

5 Likes

The man sells the bracket on eBay his seller name is Sentecheas or you can just search Glowforge bracket. I know it’s the adhesive that went bad but I researched for this repair on Glowforge & You Tube. All I could find is the 5 minute epoxy repair. I even tried going through Glowforge to get a lid replacement & they don’t offer any. They will let me trade my unit in for a refurbished unit plus $1200 on my part. I know the bracket sounds a bit much but it appears to be a simple install with his instructions. I will be installing my bracket when the epoxy wears out & then I won’t have to worry. Have a great day.

3 Likes

Five years without issue here. There appears to have been a handful of machines that didn’t have enough adhesive. It’s your money. I can think of a lot more things I could do with $150.

1 Like

I was also over 5 years with out issues, but it happen & when you have a lot of orders to get out $150 is a drop in the bucket. Any way it is up to each individual to do what they need to do. I was just trying to offer a couple of ideas.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.